DODGE RAM FORUM banner

alternator issues

32K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 1500 with the hemi engine. This weekend had to replace the alternator as well as battery. New alternator was not charging battery and my volt meter on the dash was low and then after 30 seconds it went to zero and check gauge light came on. Figured I got a bad alternator so took the new one off, returned it, got a new new one and it is doing the same thing. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated as I sure would like to make my youngins ballgame when i get off work

#3 ·
no belt squeel, the newest alternator was tested and it was showing no output. i doubled checked the two connections to the alternator and they appeared good, checked the wiring from the alternator back to panel box and no signs of frays. while i have bad luck i would hate to think i got two new alternators from the store and both of them bad. belt is running smooth and is turning the alternator

#7 ·
there were no wires on the back of the alternator that i took off however the back of the alternator does have two screws or screw posts on the back of it that i am unsure of. don't know if they are there for internal parts or if a wire may have come loose from the old alternator
spoke with Remy Power Products and they advised that the alternator is fielded by the PCM and this is what turns the alternator on. They advised to test to see if it is being fielded. Anyone have any idea if this gone be done in the driveway or does it need to go to a mechanic
There are 2 wire connections on the rear/near the rear of the alternator. A plug with 2 thin wires (field) and a heavier one with an eyelet that attaches to the output stud (battery). If these wires are not connected, the alternator will NOT work. If the heavier one was disconnected and allowed to touch ground with the battery cables on, then the fuse-link for it will be blown and the alternator will not work until the fuse-link is replaced.

#5 ·
there were no wires on the back of the alternator that i took off however the back of the alternator does have two screws or screw posts on the back of it that i am unsure of. don't know if they are there for internal parts or if a wire may have come loose from the old alternator

#6 ·
spoke with Remy Power Products and they advised that the alternator is fielded by the PCM and this is what turns the alternator on. They advised to test to see if it is being fielded. Anyone have any idea if this gone be done in the driveway or does it need to go to a mechanic

#9 ·
Usually it's close to the battery. follow the battery wire from the back of the alternator to it's connection at the battery or IPM. Somewhere near the battery, this line will have a elongated bump, or what looks like a splice connection. The fuse link is a piece of wire designed to burn up and disconnect the circuit in the even of an overload.

#11 ·
:) One thing at a time.
It's important to verify that you have 12V on the back of the alternator. After verifying that, we move on based on the test results. If I were to describe all the possible things, no one in their right mind would even read a post that long.....if the forum would even allow it. :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.