DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 4x4 Big Horn Leveling

8K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  MarkThomas 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have read every post on here regarding level kits. My head hurts :LOL:

Anyway, I want to do a simple level on my 2011 that requires no upgrade to wheels, tires, or shocks...just want to install a leveling kit, have the truck aligned, and head off on my truck-rides-like-stock-but-looks-better way.

Have read good things about Hell Bent, but since they are steel, will I have ride issues? Since Daystar is not steel, would that be the best way to go?

Or, can I just do a torsion bar adjustment to get an extra 1.5" height in the front?

#6 ·
Well for others who may be looking at this thread for answers...
Your 2011 has coilover IFS and does not have torsion bars. 4x4s can have torsion bars, I believe 02-05 Ram 1500 had torsion bars in the front.
Alot of people will argue about the steel on steel with the HBS and other steel spacers but there is a rubber isolater that goes between the spring and spacer so it's not true. Ride quality is pretty comparable to stock, a little stiffer because you limit wheel travel.
I have to say I have heard more complaints about Daystar spacers then I have good things. I have actually seen several people who werent happy with there stance with the Daystar level switch to HBS spacers and were happy with the results (if you search there are even a few threads on the forumz)
Its almost the same process to install a spacer on your 1500 as it is to install adjustable shocks.
For some reason Bilstiens are only listed as up to 2.5" for 2011 although it used to be 2.8"

It really comes down to what your looking to spend. Bilstiens are probably the best route to go but they are hard to find. There are also other companies the make adjustable shocks. If you still set on just a leveling kit and not replacing the shocks with a adjustable strut then I would definitly recomend the HBS spacer.

#8 ·
Daystar 2.5" front, 1.5" rear leveling kit. Everything else is stock on it with the exception of the new wheels but the factory tires were kept. NOTHING else made it any higher or I would have done it :D

Sorry I know its on different sides, but you get the idea. Made a huge difference to me and when I go and park it at the dodge dealership next to a standard SLT or ST, it looks MUCH better.

#9 ·
im gonna recomend the bilstein 5100's aswell i just recently installed on mine and they are great

#12 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I'm using a "Day Star" 2.5" front & rear leveling lift kit... It uses spacers only, front & rear.... I did have a complete alignment done after my install...
I get some very low speed vibration, only when in 4X4 mode....I'm approaching 30k miles, and as yet have not experienced any problems with any components... My ride and handleing are just like it was when I bought my Ram....overall I have been happy with the install of this kit.... I think if you go any higher, without a really expensive and well made lift kit, you would have lots if problems,... I don't think lifts in the 2" range will do any harm, but then I don't run in 4X4 very often, and when I have checked for vibration it has been on normal road surfaces, not in a true 4x4 environment... Thanks just my 2 cents seeing you asked

#17 ·
I can vouch for the Daystar 2.5" and haven't had any vibrations of any kind day to day driving or in 4x4. Looks better, rides just like stock, and sure does help in the looks department. Did I say it looks better.... :D

Since my pics got messed up I'm gonna post them again:

#24 ·
So, with just a set of front 5100s on my 2011, will I get the death wobble?

Also, what size tires can be put on the stock rims with the 5100s?

With truck "level", will the back droop when I hook up to my boat?

So many options with pro/cons I am having a real hard time deciding. 5100s seem like a much better option than a spacer-type level, but the fear of the death wobble has me concerned.

Thanks!

#25 ·
So, with just a set of front 5100s on my 2011, will I get the death wobble?

Also, what size tires can be put on the stock rims with the 5100s?

With truck "level", will the back droop when I hook up to my boat?

The Famed "Death Wobble" was a wobble of the front suspension at high speeds when hitting a bump or something in the road. This is not an issue with typical leveling kits including the 5100's. The only vibration that people have been experiencing is a vibration at lower speeds in 4wd only. Not all people are experiencing this, only some.
I just put a set of the 5100's last weekend and I do not have any vibration at all. I have ran 2wd and 4wd at all speeds and have no issues. I think it is the minority that has the vibration and not the majority. In fact it rides better than stock IMO.

I hear that you can run 35X12.5's MAX with the shocks set at their max of 2.8" lift. If you only go the 2.1", I would suggest 33's

Yes the back of your truck will squat a little after you hook up anything to the hitch. It all depends on what your doing. If you just have a boat your hauling with 300 lbs of weight on the hitch, not bad. I have my 5100's set at 2.1" lift and I have 1 1/4" rake. This will allow me to haul my quad trailer and boats with the truck sitting relatively level. If I hook up a travel trailer or toy hauler with 500-800lb hitch weight, expect it to squat and be nose high quite a bit. If that bothers you, pick up a set of air bags for your rear coils. You can air them up when hauling and deflate them when not to maintain your ride comfort. That and you can get them for only $100. Cheap MOD for something that can help in so many ways.

#29 · (Edited)
If they think whatever problem is related to the lift, they might deny a warranty claim.
This is one reason I'm going with spacers; I can install and remove them easily, well, "easier" than shocks anyway.
Of course, they can't deny something unrelated to the lift. But that gets interesting. Say I lifted the front only,
but I develop a differential whine (which I have), can they deny the diff repair under warranty by saying
the front "level" lift caused a diff problem due to a slight angle change in the rear ?

:doh:

#31 ·
And can you achieve a "level" with JUST a set of front 5100s or do they have to be used with something else?

*nevermind* I see from AZs truck that, yes, you can.
I still have a 1 1/4" rake with them set at 2.1". If I had them at 2.8" it would be closer to 1/2" - 3/4" rake. That's about as level as you can get IMO.

#33 ·
35's look stuffed with only a leveling kit IMO. i'd stick with 33's and go with a wider tire than stock. just one man's opinion, it's all personal preference. to answer your question: i believe with the Bilstein's set at 2.8" you can fit 35's. the width is the issue with stock 20's. which 20's do you have chrome clad or painted aluminum? if you have the chrome clads and want a 12.50" wide tire you may need to look for one that runs narrow to avoid rubbing your UCA's; say around 12.2" wide.

#37 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.