DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Clutch burning out? Transmission slip?

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  dirtsurferus 
#1 ·
i have an early model 2002 ram 2500 with the 5.9L cummins. 178k+ miles. it is a 6 speed manual. For about a week now it has been doing smething weird. when you are driving and shift into fifth or sixth (more so sixth than fifth) at the beginning of the gear it acts like the clutch is depressed. it jumps from 1 grand to 2 with hardly any power and then it "catches" and is good for the rest of the gear. but if you slow down, like going around a corner that you don't need to downshift for, it does it again. it's not jerky it is real smooth but something is slipping. we were wondering if it was just the clutch needing adjusting or if the transmission needs to be looked at. any ideas asap would be awesome!

G
#9 ·
hehehehe...sorry for being such a sneaky bastid...

Well, if you read his first post on this thread, it's pretty evident that there was, once, two threads. And of course, then there's my note that I merged them.

I don't think anyone will think you are a retard. And they all know I'm a bastid...

G
#11 ·
I'd be asking what the eBay seller's product is. Like a set of part numbers for the clutch plate and throw out bearing (better do that as well while you are in there) and see if it's a comparable offering.

And, for price point comparison purposes, call your local dealer for the part numbers and prices applicable to your application. That will be handy when comparing the other two offerings.

#12 ·
I would recommend a dual disc clutch if it's available . Especially if you do any type of hauling . I ran a McCleod Street Twin Dual disc clutch in my Dodge Charger (440 with nitrous) . I was capable of barking the tires in 4th gear , 90 mph , with friends in the car . That was the good ole days . But seriously consider it . Little costly . Heres a link to their site . http://www.mcleodind.com/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.