DODGE RAM FORUM banner

my 2011 Ram 1500 Review

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  rango88 
#1 · (Edited)
I did this for my 2011 Ranger and got a lot of positive feed back so I will do it here. I regularly update my review as time progresses.

*Truck: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500, Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, 5 spd auto, Big Horn, 3.55 open diff. White in colour. 98L/26 gallon tank.

*Bought: Used
*Bought date: Feb 24 2013
*Mileage when bought: 60,000 Kms/37,500 miles
*Review date: Apr 14 2013
*Mileage when reviewed 62,000 Kms/38,700 miles

*Mods by previous owner: 2 inch lift, bilstein shocks front and rear, BFG ATKO stock size on 20' rims
*Mods done by me: Roll up tonneau cover, front window tint, K/N drop in air filter

***Initial thought when purchased (first drive home):

Coming from a small '11 Ford Ranger, 2wd, Manual, with the 4L SOHC, my initial thought was how improved the
-interior materials
-design
-the seat comfort
-ride comfort
-power
-luxuries

were in the ram. The Ram is a much nicer and more comfortable place to sit. Once I got the seat adjusted just right (took a few days with the power settings) I never complained about the seats to date. The ride when empty is a much improved and less jumpy then the Ranger was. Power is great and immediate but it took some time to get use to all that power under my foot. Braking performance is about the same but consider the Ram is about 2,000 lbs heavier then the Ranger, the brakes are quite better then I thought. The turning radius and the how wide the truck was prob the thing I liked the least. Fuel consumption was amazing on the ride home on the highway. I was concerned of the standard mirrors size (I wanted the towing mirrors but did not get them).

***After 2,000 Kms, my thoughts:
I love the truck, When I first purchased the Ram I liked it but I still missed the Ranger's size and fun to drive aspect. I also missed the smaller tank when it came to fill ups. The Ram costs about $30 more per fill up.

The Ram is smooth on the highway and once you get used to the throttle and power it merges on the highway effortlessly. I scared my fiance the other day when I gunned the throttle and went from 40 Kmh to 110 kmh in no time. I am still not a fan of the 5 spd auto, it is slow to kick down and the shiftronic (+/-) mode is slow to respond. I also feel like the 5 spd isn't that good for city driving. It gets in top gear to quickly and then when the MDS kicks in, ECO mode on and you hit a small hill, it jerks a little to summon the power and then there's too much power (still getting used to driving the truck so that could be the issue).

As for fuel consumption for those who care. I get worse MPG then the Ranger on average in every condition. I average 15L per 100/km on the highway and about 19L per 100/km in the city. Not bad for a large 4x4, but it makes me drive as conservative as I can (Didn't buy it for MPG, but trying to stretch every MPG without complaining). I still manage better MPG then my brother's 2010 Ram 2wd single cab so I am proud of the truck in that respect.

Headlights are much improved over dodges of old (2001 Ram 1500 and a 2003 Dakota were/are in the family). The foglights and low beams are great, some of the brightest I have experience with but the high are just adequate, not an issue, but I was expecting a little more.

Convenience is amazing, I like how the headlights and puddle lights in the mirror come on to ease entry. Step is a little high, but it doesnt bother me enough. Dials are bright and easy to read. Even the Evic is simple to use. I like the audio control placement and use, plus the evic buttons are easy to use. I am not a fan of the cruise toggle, but they changed it in 2012(?) to have it on the steering wheel. I don't use cruise that much, but the toggle is a bit of a pain.
Stock sound system is amazing. I would have liked the ALPINE set up, but the 6 speaker is great and meets my needs. Storage front and rear is amazing, I was able to stow all my tools away from sight (love the under rear seat storage the most).

Styling is still the best of all fullsize trucks (i even prefer the 2009-2012 Ram styling over the '13 models inside and out) but I wish my interior was all black like the Sport (dash and seats but no leather, I dislike leather). I love the look of the Ram and didn't think I'd like the chrome but if I were to buy new the Big Horn would still be my favourite choice.

I can't review reliability either but will do so over time, I keep thinking about the transmission issues of the past, but Seeing my brother's truck tow regularly with no issues, I will try to be more confident in the tranny's reliability. The interior so far is holding up, although the rubber mat in my center console near the HVAC system is loose but my brother has the same issue (twice he went to dodge and it's still doing it). No rattles or squeaks.

I can't review dealership experience as I have yet to go for maintenance or issues but based on my fiance's experience with her '12 Wrangler at our dealership, my experience should be great.

Overall the Ram is a better truck then the Ranger but that's like comparing low salt magarine to caviar. The Ram is a better performing, more comfortable and better looking truck then the Ranger. My only real issues are the steering feel (lacking a little and vague on center) and the transmission response. Mirrors are a non issue now, I prefer my mirrors over my brother's tow mirrors, they are more then adequate for the size of the truck when not towing. I have reviewed my truck as my DD. I barely use trucks for what they are designed for so I can't review towing, payload, bed space, etc but will when the time comes.

As a truck driven like a car it impresses me, I didn't think I would love it so much. Comparing it to the '13 Sierra 4.8L crew cab 4x4 I drove for a weekend, the Ram is better in every respect. It's still the only full size I see myself driving.

Next review will come at a later date.

See less See more
#2 ·
Traded my 2005 Ram 1500 4 x 2 standard cab for a 2011 slt 4 x 2 quad cab. The 2011 rides like my Challengers. Both had/have the 4.7L V8 but the 2011 has about 80 more hp. This is my 4th 1500. The 2011 is the best truck I've owned.

#7 ·
I don't use trucks for what they are designed but I grew up around trucks so it's what I prefer to drive, so i could have easily bought a Charger with similar powertrain but I love this Ram, and like you say, the extra oomph the hemi brings is a welcome bonus, but I have yet to use all 390 HP :p

#4 ·
great review! sounds like you're really enjoying the new truck. a couple comments and things that hit home with me:

Overall the Ram is a better truck then the Ranger but that's like comparing low salt magarine to caviar.
ha great analogy :D

My only real issues are the steering feel (lacking a little and vague on center)
this is my biggest issue as well. there seems to be a lot of play in the on-center feel. i find myself making a lot of subtle corrections while driving down the highway. after almost 2 years of ownership i've grown used to it, but every time i drive my wife's Honda Civic i'm reminded of just how floaty the steering feels in my Ram.

Comparing it to the '13 Sierra 4.8L crew cab 4x4 I drove for a weekend, the Ram is better in every respect.
i traded in an '08 Sierra 4.8L for this truck and i agree. i loved the Sierra but my Ram is a better truck as a DD.

I have reviewed my truck as my DD. I barely use trucks for what they are designed for so I can't review towing, payload, bed space, etc but will when the time comes.
same here. i use my truck for truck-duty very rarely but it's damn handy to have when you need it. it does make for a fantastic grocery-getter :D

#5 ·
great review! sounds like you're really enjoying the new truck. a couple comments and things that hit home with me:

ha great analogy :D

this is my biggest issue as well. there seems to be a lot of play in the on-center feel. i find myself making a lot of subtle corrections while driving down the highway. after almost 2 years of ownership i've grown used to it, but every time i drive my wife's Honda Civic i'm reminded of just how floaty the steering feels in my Ram.

i traded in an '08 Sierra 4.8L for this truck and i agree. i loved the Sierra but my Ram is a better truck as a DD.

same here. i use my truck for truck-duty very rarely but it's damn handy to have when you need it. it does make for a fantastic grocery-getter :D
Thank You :)

-I do miss the vinyl floors my Ranger had, I just took up a side construction job and now I am worried about my carpet and Ram Floormats lol. But other then that I prefer the refinement the Ram brings over the Ranger

-My summer toy is a '90 Mazda Miata, so going from the direct feel of the miata to the ram will be a huge disappointment. I am getting use to the lack of feel but Miata season is coming.

-When I got the '13 Sierra it was a rental (Ranger was in the shop for minor hail damage) I was disappointed since they had a '12 Ram QC Hemi on the lot and I was hoping to get it, but I only had a choice between two Sierra, both the same just different colours. The Sierra impressed me, I normally not too keen on GM products but driving the sierra I'd have the 5.3L instead but overall, it's not a truck I would mind driving everyday but there are other fullsizes I would own first.

-So far the back seat has been used 3 times, twice for adults and once for 2 children in car seats and I am glad I got the crew cab instead of the Quad, the extra space is amazing :)

#11 · (Edited)
Thank you, I might be moving this summer and go to the cottage so I will review the truck more in depth then.

I did forget to review the 4x4 capabilities I used during the winter.

-My Ranger was a 2WD with just the Traction Control and Stability to keep me planted. Stock tires on the Ranger were 235/75/R15 on Goodyear Wrangler SR-A which were god awful. Terrible in snow, ice, rain, slush. I hear the SR-A are quiet and offer better MPG then typical tires, but on the Ranger you can't tell since there is very little sound deadening (took apart all 4 doors and found that it was just a plastic covering like a vapor barrier so you hear everything) and MPG in Rangers with the 4L as comparable to most fullsizes.

-During the winter I had run 400 lbs of weight in the bed near the cab and rear wheels and while this did nothing but hinder braking and MPG at least i could drive through over a foot of snow without getting stuck. The traction control had to be in the off postion though. If it stayed on, it would kill the engine and I would stall (manual transmission)

-On to the Ram during the winter. Before buying my Big Horn I test drove a '10 Sport with the Auto 4x4 option and I liked the idea but still wanted a 2WD (i drive mostly paved roads). Obviouslly most market crew cab hemi Rams are 4x4 so a 2WD was impossible to find even after a national search (I did find a 4.7L 2WD but wanted the Hemi). So I got the Big Horn and I was happy for the Auto 4x4. I only experienced 3 major snowfalls in the short time with the Ram and it did great in 4x4 Auto with the BFG AT/KO, I ran with no weight and never had any loss of traction. Braking in the slush was terrible with the BFG but I suspect it's because they were packed with slush.

I only used the 4x4 Hi once and that was just to drive in a snow covered parking lot and the only space available was near where they push the excess snow. The truck drove through the snow bank with no issues.

-I have never used 4x4 Low except for its once a month lubrication use so all the components stay oiled so I can't review its capabilities but I am sure it's excellent.

#9 ·
Thanks for the review. You might find a better tire when these wear out that give better steering feel. I came out a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab to my 05 QC4X4 Ram. Within 2 weeks my back problems were over. Gas mileage has been about the same= 16 mpg or so. But the Ram handles way better on bad roads, sucks up the bumps where the Tacoma was hobby horsing and bouncing like a buckboard. Now we can go with 2 other couples in comfort.

#12 ·
With the lift, I will stay with ATs for sure. Might look the at the Grabber AT/2 or the Goodyear Silent Armour (not sure). As for comfort, one of the reasons I traded in the ranger was the lack of comfort. My fiance had trouble sitting in the ranger for extended periods of time. It bothered me that she was so uncomfortable so I knew it was time to trade for something more comfortable and Kid friendly (Children are in the Future). I made sure that my fiance was more then comfortable with the seats and ride before buying the ride. I check with her regularly to confirm she is still confortable and I am happy to report she is.

#10 ·
Thanks for the review. I got a new 2013 with 8 gears and I could see how not having it you would feel a greater jump on the gears...
Could you tell more about the Bilsteins shocks and the lift.
I choose not to buy the air ride. The 2013 have enough Eletronics on it to go wrong, did not think I need to add more potential problem. Plus, I though that I may want to lift it down the road. My ride is as good as the Air ride. ( test drove both quite a few times)
So, how do you like it?? Could you tell much of the difference between the Mopa and Bilsteins?
Do you think that the lift decreased MPG.??
Thanks!!!

#13 ·
Thanks for the review. I got a new 2013 with 8 gears and I could see how not having it you would feel a greater jump on the gears...
Could you tell more about the Bilsteins shocks and the lift.
I choose not to buy the air ride. The 2013 have enough Eletronics on it to go wrong, did not think I need to add more potential problem. Plus, I though that I may want to lift it down the road. My ride is as good as the Air ride. ( test drove both quite a few times)
So, how do you like it?? Could you tell much of the difference between the Mopa and Bilsteins?
Do you think that the lift decreased MPG.??
Thanks!!!
I can't compare the OEM with the bilsteins as the previous owner had installed the bilstein before I acquired the truck. I can compare the ride between my truck and my brother's 2010 Hemi, 2WD, single Cab long box and the ride is firmer then his truck. I would say the ride is better in his Ram because of the 2WD set up but that doesnt mean my ride is overly firm or uncomfortable, it just means you feel more planted on the road (less floaty) and it feel more connected. I prefer the firmness of my ride since it balances out the Ram's lack of steering feel and makes me feel more engaged with the truck and the road.

If you're looking for the best comfort then the OEM set up is probably best, but if you're looking for lift and still want a truck that rides like a truck without being uncomfortable then the bilsteins are recommendable. I believe the bilsteins are adjustable and this may impact the ride quality, perhaps if you do go the bilstein route you could adjust them so they offer a ride that's a little more floaty. I like the Ride my current set up offers so I wouldn't change it :). I hope this helps with my limited experience with this setup

#14 ·
Really good write-up, the floaty feeling you described is accurate, my 2010 had this issue also, that problem is non-existing on my new truck. The steering feels quite a bit different being electrically driven now.

#15 ·
Small Update.

Drove the truck for the longest period of time (a total of 155 kms/ 97 miles)

Happy to say the truck averaged 13L/100 kms or 18 MPG US/21 MPG Imp at a steady 100 kmh with the cruise on. It seemed like my DTE meter always stayed in the 490-515 km range (depending on the hills and speed) for the whole time.

Seats were still amazingly comfortable for myself and my fiance and even the mother in-law enjoyed the ride in the back seat (gotta say I can't see myself owning a midsize truck or Quad cab Ram, the extra room the crew cab offers is perfect for my needs)

The mother in-law even enjoyed the hemi sound (the rear sliding window was open) and I showed her what real power is and she giggled the whole time :). So for my mother in-law to love my truck says a lot as she isnt really a car enthusiast. Another victory for the Ram.

My fiance was looking at a new '13 ford f150 Fx2 ecoboost on a lot and she now says she prefers the Ram (Since '09, my fiance has always prefered the F150 so I am glad the Ram won her over) 2 Victories in one day. Way to go Ram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.