DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Odometer reset required

21K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DavidNC 
#1 ·
I need to have my odometer reset for legal reasons.

I just bought a truck that had a used cluster installed, showing less mileage, to correct a door lock issue. In NC, I'm required to either have the odometer set to match original or reset to zero with a sticker added to the jamb.

In my case, the title work won't be completed until the bank retrieves the title. So I have a few days to figure this out. It has 176K actual miles, but now shows 138K. The cluster was changed last week and I have the original cluster to work with.

Can a module be taken off the back of the original cluster and swapped into the replacement cluster to show original mileage?

If required, I can reinstall the original cluster for inspection and title mileage purposes and try again later.

Thanks

#2 ·
If you take it to the dealer, they have the scan tools that are needed to do this. Swapping of modules (to the best of my knowledge) is not an option. :4-dontknow:

#3 ·
In hopes that this helps others, I will give my cluster swap observations. To get time, I swapped the original cluster back in for inspection and will wait, until lien free title is processed, to swap back the new cluster back in.

The swapped in replacement cluster had wrong mileage and remotes did not work. I noticed a black box attached to the back of the cluster. The 2005 service manual states that this is the RKE (remote Keyless Entry) module, which is removable. When swapping a cluster, moving the original RKE to the "new" cluster may keep remotes working. Or, is the RKE the problem? Doubt it since the manual lock/unlock and low speed auto lock now works.

With original cluster back in, remote and door switches lock/unlock intermittently. Low speed auto lock does not work. Horn always beeps when lock pressed.

#5 ·
In NC, the law gives three options:
1. Have replacement odometer reset to match accurate mileage. I believe dealer has to do this.
2. Have replacement odometer set to zero and place a sticker on the driver's door with mileage and date at time of swap. This can cause carfax issues if mileage is less than previous time recorded. I believe dealer has to do this, so why not set it to coorect mileage?
3. Just leave it and indicate on title that the odometer reading cannot be reliied on. probably a good idea to document mileage on old and replacement clusters and date at time of swap.

In reality, most people and garages arund here don't do any of the three. They swap out the cluster, usually document the swap, and not make reference to the inaccurate odometer reading on the title.

#6 ·
I decided to try a new key fob before switching out the cluster. A buddy gave me his old fob to try, and it worked. Unlocks on the first try, and locks after about twenty seconds wait when unlocked.

This may be normal, but my truck will not allow the lock to work for about twenty seconds after the doors have been unlocked. Neither the fob or interior switches will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.