DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Which axle ratio on your 2013/2014 Ram?

Which axle ratio do you have?

54K views 257 replies 155 participants last post by  ramit355 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious what the percentage of each axle ratio members of this
forum have (or have ordered) on their 2013 and 2014 Ram with the 8 speed auto.

And since the 3.55 axle ratio is not available on most of the 2014 Ram's.
Post if you would have, or wanted the 3.55 axle, and whether you went with the
3.92 or 3.21 since you could not get/order the 3.55.

Thanks

#8 ·
Ordered my '13 Big Horn with the 3.55's. Don't tow anything, but if I do in the future, I'll have very good rating capacity. Getting 17.5 mpg's with 75/25 city/hwy driving. Couldn't be happier with my selection. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#10 ·
3.21. My window sticker said 3.55 with the sport package and limited slip. However down further on the window sticker which shows the 8 speed auto there is a 3.21 listing. Still confusing to me so I went back to the dealership and looked at other new trucks with 8 speeds and regardless of what was on the window sticker I looked under the trucks as I did mine and they all had 3.21 stickers fixed to the axle without exception. Everyone had 3.21 on every 8 speed hemi I looked at.

#16 ·
Hemi 8 speed 3.21. It will tow all I ever need and is certainly no slug off the line. Nobody wants a sluggish truck but if you're buying a truck because its fast then a sports car may suit you better.

#17 ·
Can't speak to the 14's but on the 13's the stickers are confusing as they list the standard axle ratio, which depending on what options your truck has may not be what is actually installed. My outdoorsman sticker says 3.21 and mentions no other ratio--but it actually has the 3.92, which was standard on all the outdoorsmans as I understand it--and as stated in the model year brochure with the hemi engine.

I'd have to drive the others with the same tranny to get an impression of whether I'd want to change. I do some towing that isn't heavy, some off road work on occasion, and will haul some very heavy (pushing right up to capacity loads of wood etc.) on occasion. My truck so far appears to have more power than I really will need 99% of the time.

I'd be happy with a 3.2 if it worked OK for my needs and got a tad better MPG. I think the 8 speed tranny's make some of that thinking a bit dated though--unless you were towing in the hills or mountains I wonder if the 3.21 wouldn't work just fine for most uses--when paired with the 8 speed.

#19 ·
+1, same set up on the 2014 I ordered

#23 ·
This is so heavily dependent on individual drivers, their weather, their terrain, their altitude, and how much they carry or tow, and which truck and options they have.

Put my best guess if all being exactly equal, on average you'd see a
.5-.75 mpg drop between the axle ratios.
So two exact trucks, the one with the 3.92's would expect to get 1-1.5 mpg less gas mileage than one with a 3.21

#25 ·
I had a 2003 Quadcab Hemi with 20" wheels and 3.92 gears. The best it ever got was 15.6, but it ran like a scolded cat. My 13 has 3.21 and the 8 sp tranny and I'm getting 15 in town and should get close on 21 on the highway. My set up is fine considering what I use the truck for.

#26 ·
I had a 2003 Quadcab Hemi with 20" wheels and 3.92 gears. The best it ever got was 15.6, but it ran like a scolded cat. My 13 has 3.21 and the 8 sp tranny and I'm getting 15 in town and should get close on 21 on the highway. My set up is fine considering what I use the truck for.
Take a long trip unloaded and I guarantee you'll do better than 21.

#31 ·
Mine has the 8 speed with 3.21 with anti spin. I dont tow anything and it blows away most cars at the light and gets better mileage than my old 03 dakota 6 cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.