DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Wanting to haul a camper trailer?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100045)

lowered97ram 12-30-2011 02:47 AM

Wanting to haul a camper trailer??

I've got a 1997 ram 1500 5.2L extended cab. I eventually wanna get a cheap trailer to haul behind it on the hitch. Would 20' or even up to 24' trailers be too long and there for too much weight for this truck to handle? If it is what upgrades could I do to better handle it and keep my truck from wearing out?

It will be towed up to the mountains. Also unfortunately my truck is lowered by quite a bit :( Not my preference but I got a great deal on the truck and didn't wanna pass it up. It was lowered on a budget. Meaning by removing rear leafs and cutting the front springs.

On a good note he says he added an upgraded rear differential because he was wanting to pull a boat with it eventually but never ended up doing it. (never got the boat). Not sure how to tell what kind/size he put in?

Let me know what you think or if there are any more details I am forgetting to add. And thanks for helping out this total noob that I am :)

GTyankee 12-30-2011 02:54 AM

Head to the auto recycling yard would be the best way
unless you really want to keep it lowered

Warlock III 12-30-2011 07:22 PM

What kind of rear? I presume you're talking about the gear ratio.

It's kind of hard for me to believe that he "added an upgraded rear differential" IF it's a 4x4 (but I don't see any indication of that) because then he'd have had to change the front differential as well...not easily done on a "budget".

Check the rear differential cover to see if the tag is still on it and that will tell you the ratio. If not, You'll have to pull the rear cover and count the ring gear and the axle gears (either side will do). Then divide the larger number into the smaller number to give you the ratio.

Ewe.

ramfam 12-31-2011 12:20 AM

Im kind of curious about what a gen 2 looks like lowered? I need to see a pic of this. But I do think redo springs or if you like the looks of it get air bag helper springs.

Warlock III 12-31-2011 02:44 PM

...I'm sorry...but I got the impression you were talking about the rear ratio from your post and that you had established the spring issue and reserved it for a later date...

Gosh, I'm not really sure how to tell what kind or size springs the previous owner may have used especially since you had established that he cut the factory front and removed a leaf or two from the factory rear springs...I'd naturally presume that the springs are modified factory springs...

HOWEVER, if I did read the original post correctly...I've stated my position on that.

Ewe.

vcso2104 12-31-2011 03:05 PM

I would definitely put air bags on the rear if nothing else. Removing leafs is not good if you are going to pull a trailer. As far as the size of trailer it all depends on weight, unfortunately I don't think you will be able to pull a 24 foot with the lighter suspension you describe. Also, older trailers weigh a lot more and have much more tongue weight than newer ones. Make sure that you get load distribution (equalizer) bars for the tongue of the trailer you buy if you do. That will help equalize the weight and take some stress off the tongue weight and helps to level the load.
Hope that helps.
Dan

Warlock III 12-31-2011 05:03 PM

Springs or Rear?

Are you asking about the "kind" of rear or the kind of springs??

:stupidpeople:

I believe that the underlying issue here is clearly asked as to the REAR differential and that the member has out-rightly asked about the REAR differential and how to identify it. Is it that hard to identify what the member is asking.

How about a little reading and comprehension commitment.

Now if anyone wants to address the springs again how about this:

NO THE MODIFIED SPRINGS WILL NOT WORK. AT A MINIMUM THEY WILL HAVE TO BE RETURNED TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS.

ramfam 12-31-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 684868)
Are you asking about the "kind" of rear or the kind of springs??

:stupidpeople:

I believe that the underlying issue here is clearly asked as to the REAR differential and that the member has out-rightly asked about the REAR differential and how to identify it. Is it that hard to identify what the member is asking.

How about a little reading and comprehension commitment.

Now if anyone wants to address the springs again how about this:

NO THE MODIFIED SPRINGS WILL NOT WORK. AT A MINIMUM THEY WILL HAVE TO BE RETURNED TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS.

I think what he ment in the original post was the other owner changed the springs for hight but did up grade axle thinking he could still tow. But I sugested new springs unless he liked the looks of the truck then add air springs.