DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   How do I Install and secure Racks in the bed (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100109)

SZMATRZ 12-30-2011 05:13 PM

How do I Install and secure Racks in the bed

I am still waiting for my first truck, but I intend to install a bed rack (ladder rack) in the bed, for my canoes. The truck will have an inside the rail tonneau cover, I would like some advice on how these racks fit in the side rails and secured to the bed. I will need to keep the tonneau cover closed when the rack is installed. I noticed that the bed rail covers have hole cut out at the back with inserts but not at the front. What would be required to install a rack?

Barnyard 12-30-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SZMATRZ (Post 684152)
I am still waiting for my first truck, but I intend to install a bed rack (ladder rack) in the bed, for my canoes. The truck will have an inside the rail tonneau cover, I would like some advice on how these racks fit in the side rails and secured to the bed. I will need to keep the tonneau cover closed when the rack is installed. I noticed that the bed rail covers have hole cut out at the back with inserts but not at the front. What would be required to install a rack?

If you look closely you'll find an outline in the bed rail covers to cut out the front post hole as well. I'm assuming the ladder rack can be mounted with access to both post holes on a side, correct?

SZMATRZ 01-02-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnyard (Post 684215)
If you look closely you'll find an outline in the bed rail covers to cut out the front post hole as well. I'm assuming the ladder rack can be mounted with access to both post holes on a side, correct?

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the rack there should be access to both post holes.. but what would be your suggestion to secure it down. in any research I have done mention only 'C' type clamps, around the box rail, but as mentioned I will be utilizing a tonneau cover? I was thinking to strap the posts down from inside the box!

Barnyard 01-02-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SZMATRZ (Post 685981)
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the rack there should be access to both post holes.. but what would be your suggestion to secure it down. in any research I have done mention only 'C' type clamps, around the box rail, but as mentioned I will be utilizing a tonneau cover? I was thinking to strap the posts down from inside the box!

I think you're right, the only style I've seen comes back around the inside of the rails. You might want to go with a lighter rack that spans the entire bed (both rails). That should give you the structural strength and load security you're looking for. I would imagine that it will look more 'balanced' as well.

GTyankee 01-02-2012 07:44 PM

Here is an example of racks for our 2009 - 2012 racks
http://www.etrailer.com/lr-2010_Dodg...yle=6+Foot+Bed

A place that you may also want to check out is BackRack distributer, likely they carry other brands as well, here are 310 dealers around Ontario
http://backrack.ca/index.php?option=...d=11&Itemid=16

Shield 01-03-2012 07:40 PM

I feel for your quest. I installed a Bakflip G2 and need to install a ladder rack to carry two kayaks. I have not found any that will work with this tonneau cover. I love this low profile cover, but wish I would have looked around a little more to find the setup that incorporated both.

SZMATRZ 01-06-2012 11:12 PM

Thanks to all. I have seen one that might work, on the link that GTyankee posted, but I am looking at maybe making one myself, so I can customize what I want. You have all been a great help, and I will let you know how I make out.

AirStreak 06-17-2014 03:31 PM

Well, it took a bit of doing, but I found the solution to complete my 2014 Outdoorsman for full toy hauling duty.
I wanted to be able to haul bikes, luggage and windsurfers on my holidays yet retain the usefulness of the ramboxes and covered cargo area.
The solution is made by VanTech USA, and requires a bit of work, but nothing you couldn'd do on your own.
I wanted it all: Tonneau cover, rack, Ramboxes and bike hauling in the same go.
Everyone will tell you there isn't a stock solution available, and they're right, but a reasonabe compromise can be made modifying VanTech's conversion van racks. This link shows you how the standard rack works: http://vantech.us/Custom-H1-1-Bar-Sy...2-H-Custom.htm

What I did to make it work on my truck:
1. Take out the Rambox side rails.
2. Take Vantech mounting plates and use one OEM hole and mark second hole, drill and install "Nutserts" or similar product. (you'll also need to buy the installation tool, or find someone with one, they're much like a rivet gun, but leave you with a threaded hole in the body of the truck)
3. get countersunk Allen "(Hex) keyed machine screws to match Nutserts you bought
4. Countersink one hole in plate (I bought Parthttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png No. H14B), and install with some double sided sticky tape behind it to keep it in position over the factory side rails's mounting holes. The plates are flat with a 45 degree bend. I chose to have the bend extend outboard, which restricts your Rambox lid to that same angle.
5. insert Vantech supplied carriage bolts befor tightening plates.
Plates are 1/8" thick steel or aluminum, so you'll need a gasket material in between your plate mounting points if you wish to keep your tonneau covered bed dry. If you don't have a Tonneau cover, I'd suggest you flip the plates inboard as they won't extend past your tiedown rail and will still allow full opening Ramboxes.
6. Build Vantech 53" wide rack (Cut crossbars to length)
7. Drill crossbars to match mounts using supplied templates
8. install at height you'd like to have ensureing cab clearance (Note that your Ram truck roof is lower on the side than it is in the middle, so don't drill or cut uprights too short.
9. Cut the bottom lip off the supplied uprights for additional clearance for the tonneau. You don't need them for strength because he mounting plates are very righid due to them being sandwiched between the rails and the bed. The rack doesn't move while on the highway.
10. I bought SS wingnuts paired with lock washers for easy install/removal. I cut about 1/2" off the SS carriage bolts to limit interference with the factory tri-fold cover. If you go with Vantech supplied locknuts you can cut the bolt even shorter and have limited to no interference with the tonneau.
11. Tonneau cover clamps will need adjustment to inboard direction. The nuts are an odd size, neither 1/2" nor 13 mm. It's easiest to get a No. 5 Allen key and turn from the blind side while holding the nut.
Pros:
Ridgid mount
looks factory
You can have it all, sort of.
altogether cheaper than most complete ladder rack solutions on the market.
Cons:
limited opening Rambox if mounted pointing outboard.
Tonneau cover removal is a bit more delicate operation as front end needs to slide under the bolts.
finnicky work which takes up time (ultimately very rewarding though)

I talked to Richard at Call 718 497 3482, and he was patient and helpful. They use US Mail which was cheap and fast. I went with the black anodized aluminum: Very well finished product, and the extrusions give you all kinds of attachment options. All the hardware is good quality, mostly stainless steel. They also make other colors.

I'll figure out how to download pix next.
Cheers, Airstreak