DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need help fast!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100279)

CamoBoy34 01-01-2012 04:53 PM

Need help fast!!

i have an 05 4.7L i just replaced both head gaskets on it and when i put it all back together in ran fine. it started right up the first couple turns and idled just fine and it reved through the rpms fine too. as i went to go drive it i didnt get a 1/2 mile from the farm and it wouldnt go above 2000 rpms and then it just died. it would crank but it wont start. we pulled it back and i looked on my programmer and it said i had a crankshaft position sensor code and a camshaft position code. i changed the crankshaft sensor with no luck. i cleared the codes and now they wont come back it is just saying that i have an EGR code but i had that before and it run just fine. after trying to start it over and over i have found out that if i hold the gas pedal to the floor it will spit and sputter but ONLY on cylinders 2-4-6-8 it wont fire on the left side of the motor. i know this from my programmer i have a page that counts the missfires on each cylinder and the left side wont fire. i have already pulled the valve covers and the cams are still timed right it didnt jump timing. i am also getting fuel to the motor so that isnt a problem. i have just run out of ideas and i need this truck ASAP if you know what i could do to pin point the problem id appriciate it or know of anything else i could do

thanks

CdnoilRAM 01-01-2012 09:55 PM

Pull the valve cover and make sure there's nothing interfering with the valves or rocker arms. It's been known that people havn't put the pushrods back properly, and it's caused major issues.

moparist 01-01-2012 10:25 PM

it may be a loose wire connection or harness that sends signal to spark plugs coils

IN2H2O 01-01-2012 11:08 PM

Crank it over with the valve covers off and watch to see if the cam is rotating on the side that isn't firing.

CamoBoy34 01-02-2012 10:27 AM

Im pretty sure the cam is turning because I turned the motor to tdc and the cams are still in time bit I will double check after work tonight

IN2H2O 01-02-2012 11:42 AM

I was thinking that the bolt could have broke free and the gear is possibly just spinning without turning the cam. The sproket will still be turning and appear to be in time.

Air, fuel, spark and compression.

Fuel rail is common, if you have it on one side, you have it on both.
Air intake is common and so is ignition control. if you have one whole bank that is not firing, then the only thing left is the cam...

brad12kx 01-02-2012 12:22 PM

Check the connectors on the PCM. During the head gasket replacement, it is possible one may have come slightly dislodged. Pay particular attention to the Orange connector (C2).

CamoBoy34 01-02-2012 09:28 PM

ok i changed the camshaft sensor and checked all the connectors they are all plugged in good. still no luck i will be getting a new EGR valve tomorrow and will put it in after work and give that a try if not i will take the valve covers off again and double check the timing

CamoBoy34 01-04-2012 12:09 AM

Update on the truck. I'm getting spark and fuel to all cylinders. The left side is now firing and all connections are good. If I hold the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there the truck will "start" and I have to keep the pedal on the floor. The trucks rpms are so low it sounds like a Harley idling then it will backfire and die. It only runs for about 10 seconds at a time. Plus I also have a new code its a P2314 ignition coil E I have no idea what it is any help?

brad12kx 01-04-2012 02:21 AM

P2314 is complaining about 1 of the coils. I'd ignore it until the truck is running. It could be a false reading under the circumstances.

Am I reading this right? You have to hold the pedal to the floor even after it starts? And it still runs at a very low RPM?

By chance, did you verify that the crank/cam timing is still correct?