DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Installed my new CB Radio! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100388)

Krpto1973 01-02-2012 10:19 PM

Installed my new CB Radio!

2 Attachment(s)
So I just got done (well 95%) with installing my new Cobra 29LX CB Radio into the dash. This was not an easy install, but I think it looks really good. I say I am 95% done because I need to pull it out about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch further out of the dash, but I ran out of time. I'll probably have to wait until next weekend to finish it up. I also installed the anteana to the forward side of my tool box, between it and the cab. I also used a fold down adapter to lay the antenna down along the front side of the tool box when not in use. This effectly hides it completley out of view.

What do you guys think?

CTYHNTR 01-02-2012 10:34 PM

Nice clean install! Ive been planning on getting one eventually, do you have any details on the install process?

Cobrajr 01-02-2012 10:41 PM

WOW!

Beautiful install, I love the fold down antenna!!

I am a big wireless guy and cant wait to take delevery of my truck so I can start finding a spot to stick a CB.

LC Hauler 01-02-2012 10:51 PM

NICE job!!!! love the fold down antenna as well, very clean.

Stangshcky12 01-02-2012 11:40 PM

That looks awesome!

Rescue1 01-03-2012 05:27 AM

I like the antenna idea. This would work well for an HF HAM antenna, I may see if I can adapt that idea.. Thanks...:smileup:

pickupman2500 01-03-2012 06:18 AM

that is a very clean istall. looks great

Krpto1973 01-03-2012 10:07 AM

Thanks guys.

CTYHNTR, the install process on this one was a pretty big deal, and certainly not for the faint of heart. It requires cutting several different pieces. Obvioulsy I cut the dash cover. I took the face plate off the CB, then used masking tape on the dash to outline the area I was going to cut. Then of course that required that I didn't have any buttons in that area. If I had the leather seats with the heat buttons there, then I couldn;'t have done it. I then used a dremel cutting wheel, grinder, and sandpaper to make the hole. Then I had to cut the area in the dash that the CB sits in. Once you cut it, there's no going back. Then I used some aluminum to make a new bracket to hold the CB, and drilled some holes to connect to to both the CB and the side walls of the internal dash. It actually sits on a portion of the lower internal dash and on the mounting brack, so its pretty secure.

Then what you can really see too well, is that I pulled the internal speaker out of the CB and connected it to the back of the plastic area right below my dash. I even drilled some speaker holes so you can heard the speaker properly. Not so sure how this would work on trucks with a center shifter.

All in all, I am very happy with it.

Scoooter 01-03-2012 10:11 AM

WOW, that took some nerve, I would love to do that to mine but I don't have the balls to go for that type of fit. Looks great!!

redlightrico 01-03-2012 07:33 PM

One helluva good job on the install. well done!