DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Mods on a 5.9?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100699)

11BFollowMe 01-06-2012 03:11 PM

Mods on a 5.9??

Im looking for more acceleration with my 5.9 qc sport any suggestions??

wvcoolvinilla 01-06-2012 03:20 PM

What is your budget? Mopar performace makes a nice cam, you can get headders, I did both to my 1997 5.2 with good results.

Brutus 01-06-2012 06:50 PM

that mopar cam is pretty tame. your better off going with a grind from KRC or Hughes. i have a KRC 210 Cam in my Amber Fire Dakota R/T with some EQ 2.02 heads (and all the bolt-ons) and it runs strong.

you can get good gains from the typical bolt-ons.

CAI
52mm TB
M1 2bbl or modded Kegger
1.7 roller rockers
decent set of headers
3" exhaust

top it off with SCT :smiley_thumbs_up:

11BFollowMe 01-06-2012 06:57 PM

Honestly i dont really have a budget im just gonna save for the parts i want hahah

Okiespaniels 01-07-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11BFollowMe (Post 689125)
Honestly i dont really have a budget im just gonna save for the parts i want hahah

Oh man...it would be impossible to give you any concrete suggestions.

But since you're gonna save, let me offer that the more you spend, the better results you'll have.

On a "stock truck"...one without a lift and big tires, mild bolt on mods will give you nice gains. These would include larger TB's , tuners, exhaust, Intake, etc. Opinions on brands/styles are as many as blades of grass in a field.

Then you can progress to internal engine/ tranny mods.

However if you're serious about real performance, or have a 4x4 you want to lift and tire up, you need more serious (expensive) stuff. That'll start with lower gears to increase your torque to turn those big meats. Some tranny mods to keep things cool.
Even 2wds will have more instant get up and go with a gear swap. Gears will enhance the mid range and upper end power most bolt on mods provide.

Dk808 01-20-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okiespaniels (Post 689517)
Oh man...it would be impossible to give you any concrete suggestions.

But since you're gonna save, let me offer that the more you spend, the better results you'll have.

On a "stock truck"...one without a lift and big tires, mild bolt on mods will give you nice gains. These would include larger TB's , tuners, exhaust, Intake, etc. Opinions on brands/styles are as many as blades of grass in a field.

Then you can progress to internal engine/ tranny mods.

However if you're serious about real performance, or have a 4x4 you want to lift and tire up, you need more serious (expensive) stuff. That'll start with lower gears to increase your torque to turn those big meats. Some tranny mods to keep things cool.
Even 2wds will have more instant get up and go with a gear swap. Gears will enhance the mid range and upper end power most bolt on mods provide.

With the lower gears, what would you be looking at as per Highway mpg and rpm? How much lower? Sorry new to this subject and really looking to do some mods to my truck. I ultimately want more get up and go and just raw power. However i still need it to drive on the highway.

Brutus 01-20-2012 05:08 PM

just for reference, i run 4.56 gears in one of my Dak's w/ a 28" tire. it runs ~2700 @ 70mph. 325hp to the wheels, i was able to get 15mpg out of it. i may have been able to get more with some detailed tuning.

MF2000 01-23-2012 06:19 PM

I'd recommend a CAI, SCT or some type of tuner and throttle body for the start.