DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Major Electrical Problems, Now she won't start (

01TRAINZZZ 01-07-2012 04:59 PM

Major Electrical Problems, Now she won't start
I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport. Things are going really crazy. To start off with I had to get the motor rebuilt thanks to a ex-employee. But after the rebuild was when everything went crazy. Here are here symptoms. I hope there's a good dooc in the house. When I got her back from the rebuild, I would insert the key and the wipers would come and the horn would beep repeatally until I closed the driver side door. I also notice that the interior light would not come when the driver side door was open but works great on the passenger side. Her reverse lights do not work all of a sudden and know she started just for a sec and has never stared since.:4-dontknow: I'm lost. I've read about the ECM (maybe the problem). My door locks do not work now but the horn and wipers stop whan I push in the door button for the light. With very little money I have I am wishing I can get her back on the road asap. I am self employeed with little work and have limited funds. I can buy oarts but hate to invest in parts without knowing where to start. ANY help would be great.

Wizza 01-07-2012 08:15 PM

I would suggest first isolating your issues one at a time and determine what components are involved in the normal operation of each.

Use some diagrams and schematics to help you trace the lines and boxes such as the ECM or other components to where they should" versus "are" connected.

The symptoms you mention certainly sound like a screwy wiring bundle somewhere got all mixed up. Systems that are not dependent on each other normaly now are.

Warlock III 01-07-2012 08:58 PM

I'd venture a guess at the PDC (Power Distribution Module), but don't truly believe that it's your problem.

However, It may be as simple as checking the connections to it. It may be a bad positive connection from the battery to the PDC (it's the big fuse box under the hood) or the ground.

That's where I'd start since it would usually be the connections that are disturbed when the engine was pulled. Make sure you have good connections on the battery and check the engine and body ground.

It sounds like the circuits are going haywire, and the connections may have been made, and then overlooked and tightened down securely.

If all of the connections are clean and secure...I'm not sure if your truck has a BCM or a CTM, but they're effectively the same thing.

It's located behind the driver's side kick panel. It's a black box with three plugs going to it and controls everything electrical in the truck. That'd be my guess and I think it's a pretty good one.