DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Weird noise when stopping.. sometimes (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101058)

TG1977 01-10-2012 12:33 PM

Weird noise when stopping.. sometimes

Hi all-

This is my first post aside from my newbie one.

I've noticed this odd noise when I come to a stop sometimes. Kind of like a dull thud from the rear. I can feel it and hear it. It doesn't happen all the time though. And one time it happened twice. It has me stumped. Is anyone else having this happen?:4-dontknow:

doug713 01-10-2012 12:44 PM

Yep, this has been posted a few times. Your 32 gal gas tank has no baffels in it so it thumps around when you come to a stop. Almost feels like someone rear ended you sometimes. Thats all it is and far as I know only you can do is keep the tank full.

TG1977 01-10-2012 12:59 PM

Ok, being that I'm a girl and a newbie, can you explain what a baffel is? lol thanks!

doug713 01-10-2012 01:22 PM

Yeah,, Its just pieces or plastic or metal that kinda divide the tank up some to keep the gas from making a thud when you stop or take off real quick.

Stump3r 01-10-2012 02:19 PM

There are actually two trains of thought on this...
First is the 32Gallon fuel tank baffle issue
Second is that it's the hill start assist locking down the rear brakes.
I have the large fuel tank in my Ram and noticed this from day one. I wrote it up to no baffles in the fuel tank and didn't think much about it until I read a thread saying it's the hill start assist. So just for fun I went into the EVIC and turned off the hill start assist and low and behold I no longer have the thud. I do feel the fuel tank slosh now but it's a very soft thud and barely noticeable. Try turning off hill start assist and see if that helps, it sure did with mine.

JoeBlow 01-10-2012 02:43 PM

I have the 32 gal. tank also, and I feel the thump from time to time. I do believe it's your fuel moving around, since it only appears to be an issue with trucks that have the 32 gallon tank and only happens when your tank has the right amount of gas in it. Next time it happens check your fuel gauge. I only notice the thump when my tank is between 1/2 to 3/4 full.

This question comes up every so often and cracks me up because I remember wondering about the same thing when I first got my truck and noticed the thump. Never heard the one about the "hill start assist" though.

APSTRAM 01-10-2012 03:37 PM

I have the 32 gal also. I have learned to ignore the thump but still get the urge to go check and see if the guy behind me just bumped my hitch ball at the drive thru.

I am going to try the hill start assist today.

sethmark 01-10-2012 10:01 PM

Dodge is aware of it and considers it a non problem. I have it and it is better without hill assist, but still there.

Hemiram2011 01-11-2012 12:43 AM

its funny this was mentioned because i hought someone rear ended me the other day but nope it was the tank...i even got out and looked haha