DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cv joints (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101151)

Bruce E 01-11-2012 08:00 AM

Cv joints

Is Kore the only company that makes a quality high angle CV Joint. When I do a search they are all I can come up with, there must be other companies that make this part. Of course if there isn't that could explain why they are so expensive.

candy08 01-12-2012 01:32 AM

Unfortunately I believe they are. I'm also in the dark on why they cost 800 bucks other than they gain 20 degrees of travel. But I also haven't called them and asked why their so special either. That's your best bet is to call Kore up yourself....

CdnoilRAM 01-12-2012 09:28 PM

You can have custom shafts made for around $2K, so $800 on a new set of HA shafts is a deal. Surprisingly, the market is very small for this mod as so many people just replace blown joints or drop the transfer case and get a custom 1/2 shaft. The major lifts are done on the solid axle rigs, so that's why there's not that much support for them. I will be going with the KORE shafts as well when I drop my 4x4 a few more inches (same issues as lifting, just in the opposite direction) as I'm pretty much maxed on my CVs with the 2/4 drop.

The reason they cost $800 is they use a CV joint that can handle up to 30 degrees and not come apart, the stock only handle up to 15 degrees. If I remeber correctly they're based off of a porche 930, but were from an updated material. As simple as it sounds to just increase the angle, it is extremely difficult to maintain constant velocity across an angle. Take a wobble joint on a socket and try to keep both ends in the same place while you spin it, doesn't work, because the ends are trying to follow an eliptical patern, not a stationary rotational one. This puts a lot of stress on the joint, increasing heat generation, and eventually they seize or blow through the boot that holds the lubricant. You can try burfield joints which handle high angles, but they have a bad tendancy to blow apart at high RPM, however they're great for handling torque.

Another option is to contact Tom Woods and see if they'll build you a custom set of double-cordon joint shafts.

Bruce E 01-13-2012 08:10 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I will probably go with the Kore CV joints eventually. I have to purchase new rims and tires next and that will set me back over $2000 so I had better wait to spend more.

candy08 01-13-2012 04:50 PM

The Kore cv's will be fine.

I need to order some myself here soon!