DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   My '90 Ram wouldn't let me in this morning..wtf? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101367)

OklahomaHoss 01-13-2012 08:13 AM

My '90 Ram wouldn't let me in this morning..wtf?

So I go outside to crank her up, and put the key in the keyhole, turn the key all the way to the right, push the button in, and pull the handle.

Nothing.

So I turn the key all the way the left, thinking I've gone the wrong way with it, push the button, and pull the handle.

Nothing.

Scratch my head and mumble "WTF?", then I go to the passenger side door, insert key, turn key, push button, pull handle.

Nothing.

Turn key other way, push button, pull handle.

Nothing.

Curse under my breath. Get in back of truck. Slide open back window. Reach in and pull up the driver's side door lock. Think to myself "that's got it." Hop out of the bed, go to the door, push the button. Pull the handle.

Nothing.

Give up. Resolve to fight another day.

Anyone know what this could have been caused by? I'd hate to think my Ram just doesn't like me.

RamEZ 01-13-2012 10:57 AM

We sometimes give names to our vehicles. You didn't by any chance name your Ram "Christine" did you?

OklahomaHoss 01-13-2012 02:01 PM

I'll ocasionally bump this thread just to keep it fresh. Hopefully someone will have an idea about what to do about it.

Warlock III 01-15-2012 09:53 AM

It's a simple button mechanism. My '90 Ramcharger started to do it on the driver's side. It only seemed to do it just after I jumped from a bedroom window, ran out of a bank, a liquor store, or had my hands full of used car stereos.

The lever on the inside was sticking as if I was holding the button in from the outside and someone was trying to unlock it from the inside...doesn't work. I had to pull the door panel and spray if real good with penetrating oil. Once I got it working smoothly I coated it with white lithium.

I figured out that if I turn the key and bang below the lock a couple times the button (lever behind it) would return and then I could open it with the key.

OklahomaHoss 01-24-2012 02:11 PM

Excellent! Thanks for that!

OklahomaHoss 06-27-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 696139)
It's a simple button mechanism. My '90 Ramcharger started to do it on the driver's side. It only seemed to do it just after I jumped from a bedroom window, ran out of a bank, a liquor store, or had my hands full of used car stereos.

The lever on the inside was sticking as if I was holding the button in from the outside and someone was trying to unlock it from the inside...doesn't work. I had to pull the door panel and spray if real good with penetrating oil. Once I got it working smoothly I coated it with white lithium.

I figured out that if I turn the key and bang below the lock a couple times the button (lever behind it) would return and then I could open it with the key.

Out of curiosity (cause if it works, I'll try anything), were you gently caressing any part of the truck or yourself, while whispering your undying love to said truck while...ahem...banging below the lock? Also, I've taken note of the liberal usage of "penetrating" oil. Now if I just knew where to get my hands o...oh wait..