DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   4x4 Misbehaving? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101407)

herc 01-13-2012 03:54 PM

4x4 Misbehaving?

A couple of months ago, there was a thread started by DodgeBlue...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92413

I think I'm now experiencing the same issue. Essentially, I can't detect ANY difference between the 4WD/AUTO setting and 4WD/LOCK(High) on my drive selector.

I KNOW that I'm getting help from the fronts, but regardless of how sharp I turn on pavement that's just a bit wet, I can't detect ANY of the normal axle load-up I think I should feel in 4Hi. No slip/hop/chatter/anything, just a smooth turn as though I was still in 2WD.

Last night I had my first plowing experience in this truck, and while it did a good job, it sure seemed as though I was often spinning the rear BEFORE getting ANY help from the front.

It's as if the fluid transfer component of the transfer case isn't locking up, and I'm really staying in the Auto mode, even though the selector is in 4WD/LOCK and the light on the dash is supposedly confirming that.

In the last thread, it seemed like everyone with definitive experience AND a transfer case with the Auto capability had a 2010. The only 2011 owners that had any direct experience to share seemed more similar to what I'm getting now.

According to the owner's manual, when the selector is in 4WD/LOCK, the front and rear driveshafts are locked together, and to me that means if a wheel is spinning in the back, at least one HAS TO BE SPINNING in the front.

Now that there's more snow around, can any 2011 owners confirm that theirs DOES feel like its supposed to in 4WD/LOCK? I don't want to go back to the dealer and get the "that's normal" answer.

Thanks!

ArmyRXP 01-13-2012 05:49 PM

Have not gone to 4HI lock but have been in Auto today during my outing ino ur big snow storm here. When I did turn the wheels as far as they could go then try getting on it a little you could feel the load up so I know mine is doing what it is supposed to as the rear could spin then the fronts would kick in. I will have to go out and put it in 4HI lock and see what it does when the wife is not with me. Will get back to you.

Gary

whatroads 01-14-2012 12:47 PM

Try this: Find a smooth concrete floor. Some garages are big enough. Otherwise a decent parking garage will do. Put it in 4 auto or 4 lock. Proceed slowly and turn your front wheels.

4 lock you should feel pull as you try to turn. Usually the vehicle will feel a little "jerky" as you turn. Auto will try to send most of the drive to the rear wheels and lessen the affect. My old 2002 Grand Cherokee had the 4 auto. Most of the time you would not feel it until you put the selector in the 4wd hi position, (same as 4 lock on yours)

candy08 01-14-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatroads (Post 695550)
Try this: Find a smooth concrete floor. Some garages are big enough. Otherwise a decent parking garage will do. Put it in 4 auto or 4 lock. Proceed slowly and turn your front wheels.

4 lock you should feel pull as you try to turn. Usually the vehicle will feel a little "jerky" as you turn. Auto will try to send most of the drive to the rear wheels and lessen the affect. My old 2002 Grand Cherokee had the 4 auto. Most of the time you would not feel it until you put the selector in the 4wd hi position, (same as 4 lock on yours)

I have to add 15 characters just for this smiley...ugh :smileup:

herc 01-16-2012 10:58 AM

Thanks for the replies, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I've had other 4wd's and I expected exactly the jerkiness that whatroads describes when in 4WD/LOCK (4Hi). As is, though, I don't seem to be able to muster up ANY jerkiness in 4WD/LOCK, and can't detect ANY difference between that and the AUTO setting, even on dry pavement.

Once again, can any 2011 owners that HAVE the 4WD/AUTO setting confirm that theirs DOES feel like its supposed to in 4WD/LOCK?

Thanks

862001 01-16-2012 06:11 PM

I have a 2011 with the auto transfer case and It does act like a conventional 4x4 in the lock mode (binds up on dry ground).
Hope this answers you're question.

herc 01-16-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 862001 (Post 697426)
...Hope this answers you're question.

Yes, and thanks!

I'll have to do a little more testing to be 100% sure I'm not just losing my mind (just turned 52!), then it's off to the dealer with me.

llsht14 01-17-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herc (Post 697434)
Yes, and thanks!

I'll have to do a little more testing to be 100% sure I'm not just losing my mind (just turned 52!), then it's off to the dealer with me.

i am having the exact same problem with mine, EXACT, ive had it into the dealer and they just keep telling me that im crazy

by the way if u lift the truck with 37" tires like me, its wayyyy more pronounced

candy08 01-17-2012 06:27 PM

Are yall doing this on pavement?

I want to try mine out now lol Just not a fan of 4wd on dry pavement :(

herc 01-17-2012 06:40 PM

Yeah. The idea isn't to wail on it and see how bad you can make it hop, just enough to confirm that the fronts and rears are actually locked together.

In my case, I still haven't had a chance to try completely dry pavement since we just got more snow. But, on pavement that was just slightly wet, I could S back and forth lock-to-lock at very slow speed, and not feel ANY different between 4Hi and 4Auto.