DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Bumper, Input Please! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101451)

knappk6 01-14-2012 08:58 AM

New Bumper, Input Please!

Hey guys i have a 2008 big horn and i bought the truck with damage to the back bumper and its time for me to have this fixed. I had the work quoted from the dealership and it came back as $1400. That seemed a bit high for me so I took it to my buddies shop and they quoted $1500. after talking to them about how the dealerships price was lower they did everything they could to get the price down and it only dropped to $1300. The thing that's really holding the price up there is the cost of the bumper assembly itself. the thing is $560! Does anyone know of a good looking after market bumper that is less expensive, I was kinda hoping to keep the chrome but I'm open to other suggestions. I appreciate your help!http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38484444_n.jpg

916Timmy 01-14-2012 09:59 AM

No idea, but I found a replacement bumper for my 2010 at like 240 bucks, not sure how much the metal piece is behind there

knappk6 01-14-2012 10:12 AM

nice i need to dig they said that its the entire assembly which is all the brackets and the plastic pieces. where did you find your bumper at?

Barnyard 01-14-2012 10:21 AM

It looks to me like the real price adder in this job is the work on the fender. The bumper assembly (even the dual exhaust cut-outs version) isn't all that expensive. The biggest part of your $1500 bill is fixing that fender and blending the paint on a nearly 4 yr-old truck (paint is faded/oxidized and is hard to match).

knappk6 01-14-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnyard (Post 695451)
It looks to me like the real price adder in this job is the work on the fender. The bumper assembly (even the dual exhaust cut-outs version) isn't all that expensive. The biggest part of your $1500 bill is fixing that fender and blending the paint on a nearly 4 yr-old truck (paint is faded/oxidized and is hard to match).

Yeah I found Bumpers through LMC and still with the mounting hardware the bumper is still $445. I was just looking for a cheaper bumper. I looks like ill be spending some cash on this one.

2011 ASSAULT 800 01-14-2012 10:31 PM

same thing happened to me, someone hit me in a parking lot, I bought a used bumper, painted it black (it already was but was scratched to hell, My dad and I took the tail light out and used various pry bars to pry out the dent under the tail light, It isnt perfect but it was too cold to bondo it perfect again but you wouldnt notice it unless you actually looked at it, im fine with it but if it was a newer truck i would want it fixed right away.

I would say have the dent underneath the taillight fixed professionally and change the bumper yourself, even take the bumper off to save the body people time and save u money, cahnge the bumper yourself, your supports on the 1 side might not line up perfect due to being pushed in but nothing a big pair of channel locks and vise grips cant handle, having a 3rd hand or 2nd set for this would make it easier.

heres what mine looked like
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...0/cb1f066b.jpg

hard to tell, I had a close up pic but I cant find it, exact same as yours just the other side...

2011 ASSAULT 800 01-14-2012 10:35 PM

also if you find a bumper for cheap without the plastic yours looks fine, maybe 1 of the clips ir broken, 1 of mine was but it went in fine and doesnt stick up, silicone would stick it down, but its your truck and it depends on how nicely you want it fixed. hopefully some of this can help you save some money. 1400 is a hald decent quote as there is a days work to pull the sdent out, prime and paint and change the bumper plus the cost of the bumper.... but I wouldnt pay it

knappk6 01-16-2012 10:44 PM

Thanks! i appreciate it! Girlfriends mom used to work for a body shop so she is using her connections to see if something turns up. hopefully soon!

moparornocar72 01-16-2012 10:49 PM

I would also look into junk yard, any truck that has been t boned or totaled out in the front and u could snag the bumper and brackets pretty cheap!

knappk6 01-23-2012 12:50 AM

thanks guys i really appreciate all the input. still trying to figure out what im going to do. I think im just going to buy the bumper and transfer everything over from the old assembly to the new bumper and yrt to knock the fender back into somewhat decent shape and let the body shop take it from there. Now its just time to save to have this work done. It will take out of my exhaust and tire funds though!