DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Any harm in running in tow/haul mode when not towing or hauling? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101467)

darowden 01-14-2012 01:14 PM

Any harm in running in tow/haul mode when not towing or hauling?

Sometimes my 4.7 seems a bit sluggish in busy traffic and tow/haul mode really perks it up. My understanding is basically I am bumping up my gear ratio by punching the button, and I will burn more gas, but other than that, does anyone think it hurts anything to use the tow haul mode when desired and not just when towing and hauling?

IN2H2O 01-14-2012 02:37 PM

I do the same thing. It increases rpm but if the vehicle is not loaded down, I can't see it doing any harm.

darowden 01-15-2012 10:42 AM

Yeah, I figure it just change the ratio since the RPMs seem about 200 RPM higher on the tach accross the board.

TransEngineer 01-17-2012 11:54 AM

Tow/Haul mode alters the shift schedule, not the actual gear ratios, but this makes it easier to get a kickdown (to a lower gear) and may hold you in a lower gear longer as you accelerate.

No, there is no problem with driving it all the time in Tow/Haul mode, if that's what you like.

darowden 01-20-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransEngineer (Post 698158)
Tow/Haul mode alters the shift schedule, not the actual gear ratios, but this makes it easier to get a kickdown (to a lower gear) and may hold you in a lower gear longer as you accelerate.

No, there is no problem with driving it all the time in Tow/Haul mode, if that's what you like.

It just seems like in standard mode there is a slight lag between first and second gear.

jjz28 02-07-2012 08:43 PM

I know what you mean, it seems like you have to push down the gas too far to get it to kick down and then when it does, it is actually too much acceleration then. I wonder if a tuner would help with this problem?

mr61impala 12-23-2012 11:51 PM

Tow Haul

When I'm running the steeper mountains of eastern Ky. I have used tow/haul to reduce the amount of shifting. Is more relaxing? and does not seem to negatively affect the fuel consumption. :smileup:

TNC 12-28-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransEngineer (Post 698158)

TE, not trying to argue with you, but I swear that my truck in T/H yields the same exact rpm to speed in top gear that shifting from 6th to 5th yields. I can cruise down the highway in top gear (6th) and manually shift to 5th. It's about a 200 rpm rise. Then I can cruise down the highway in top gear and punch T/H, and it goes to the same 200 rpm rise. In either scenario it holds that rpm to speed, so it's not a kickdown effect. Now my '12 Express is a hemi, but isn't the tranny the same with either engine?...basically?

I agree on the quicker downshifts and the tranny holding a gear longer while accelerating with T/H.

snrusnak 12-28-2012 12:08 PM

To clarify what TE said above:

In normal driving(transmission in "D" with T/H mode OFF) the transmission will upshift as follows:

1st
3rd
4th
5th
6th

You can see it skips the 2nd gear. Yes I know it's actually called 2nd prime, but it's a million times easier to just say it's a 6 speed. the 545rfe "5 speed" and the 65rfe are for all intensive purposes identical. They have the same 6 forward gear ratios. And yes the 4.7L and 5.7L share the same transmission.

When in T/H mode, the transmission will upshift as follows:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

terrydaktal 04-18-2013 03:53 PM

Good info thank you for sharing. :smileup: