DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Exhaust specs (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101708)

micar71 01-16-2012 08:54 PM

Exhaust specs

Hello everyone. Im a newbie. I've been reading threads about exhausts. I have a 4.7 liter Ram Crew cab with single exhaust. I've been thinking about installing an aftermarket exhaust but I was kinda discouraged when I saw the multiple support arms welded to the factory muffler (I guess it's to support its weight and to keep it from swinging and bouncing). Is this necessary? Feel free to bombard me with answers PLEEEASE!
I want a deep rumble.
I don't want LOUD.
Im limited on cash, I generally put money aside.
I don't want an el-cheep-o that falls apart in a few years.
Is it silly to leave the factory side tailpipe in place? I was thinking decent factory appearance with an aftermarket rumble.

Thanks

916Timmy 01-17-2012 06:58 AM

It is a very heavy muffler. You can go with a welded in muffler for less than 200 bucks for the single exit. My vote is for Magnafolw!

micar71 01-17-2012 11:18 AM

Can it be clamped-in. Is clamping okay in your opinion? Is there a significant difference in weight compared to the factory?

916Timmy 01-17-2012 04:08 PM

It is okay, just use good clamps. The stock muffler is probably 50 pounds heavier than any performance muffler out there

snrusnak 01-18-2012 12:20 AM

^All good info. I'd put in a magnaflow or similar (dynomax is another good one), they are straight through type mufflers giving best performance. They sound good and are much lighter than stock, and any shop should be able to weld one in very inexpensive. You could clamp it but it won't be as good. Those mufflers I listed are stainless steel, and the stock tailpipe is all stainless steel and mandrel bent (very good).

bigredtruck 02-10-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 698917)
^All good info. I'd put in a magnaflow or similar (dynomax is another good one), they are straight through type mufflers giving best performance. They sound good and are much lighter than stock, and any shop should be able to weld one in very inexpensive. You could clamp it but it won't be as good. Those mufflers I listed are stainless steel, and the stock tailpipe is all stainless steel and mandrel bent (very good).

^This

Dynomax is great if your trying to go cheap. Just hack out the old muffler. I used a sawsall. then have the new one welded in. any decent shop will do it for less then 50 bucks. I have a Dynomax. All Stainless Steal. cost me 30 bucks and it brings a smile to my face every time i start my big red beauty. :D much better than any Flowmaster i've ever had (yuck!)

mdksdmf 09-03-2012 09:58 PM

if u have a muffler welded in and a lil catback going on..later on down the road if u were to do shorty headers, would u have to get custom piping to connect the header to the muffler? or is the stock piping good diameter wise. o2 sensors included obviously