DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Dash Cover Overlay...Anyone ever done this? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101714)

jbsails 01-16-2012 09:06 PM

Dash Cover Overlay...Anyone ever done this?

2 Attachment(s)
My dash is cracked and in pieces...not pretty. The truck is new to me (I just bought it this weekend!), and I want to repair this eyesore.

I have seen the hard dash overlays advertised in different spots on the net...I am pretty certain LMC Truck has them.

So...my choice is to purchase one or...go to the junkyard and try to find a decent dash for swap out to mine. This is the least desired as I have no idea how big a job that is.

Has anyone else got this dash problem and have any of you done the hard cover overlay? I would appreciate any insights you may have.

GreenGoblin 01-17-2012 12:08 AM

Welcome to the forums. The cracked dash is part of the Dodge Ram owner experience. When looking for Rams last summer it became apparent quickly that this was a common issue.

I went with an aftermarket cap, decent fit and quality, but not OEM looking at all. However, 100x better than the way it looked before.

I looked at the junkyards also, but most of those were in pretty bad shape or cracked when I tried to remove them.

The next alternative is to fully replace the dash with an OEM replacement dash, which more time consuming and more expensive, but looks great in contrast to the cap.

Warlock III 01-17-2012 08:10 AM

Here's a thread on one and some member comments: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=97023

Anything you find in the junkyard is gonna be just about as bad as yours. Even if it isn't, I wouldn't waste the 5-6 hours pulling one, then the 5-6 hours pulling yours, then the 6-7 hurs putting it back in.

I've done it once...once.

GearHd6 02-01-2012 06:19 PM

That is so strange. What causes it? The dash in my 96 2500 was like brand new when I sold it a couple weeks ago. I had the truck for 13 years so I know it was never replaced. I've heard of them cracking but never knew why.

Warlock III 02-01-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHd6 (Post 710733)
That is so strange. What causes it? The dash in my 96 2500 was like brand new when I sold it a couple weeks ago. I had the truck for 13 years so I know it was never replaced. I've heard of them cracking but never knew why.

^^My thoughts exactly^^

I've worked in scrap yards for years and have only seen ONE out of the hundreds, if not thousands, that wasn't cracked. Any advise on winning lottery numbers? Maybe your luck will wear off on me.

GearHd6 02-01-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 710795)
^^My thoughts exactly^^

I've worked in scrap yards for years and have only seen ONE out of the hundreds, if not thousands, that wasn't cracked. Any advise on winning lottery numbers? Maybe your luck will wear off on me.

LOL, I'll be keeping those winning lotto numbers for myself.

I always thought the cracking was a rare occasion seeing mine looked perfect. I guess I was just lucky like you said.

CdnoilRAM 02-01-2012 10:09 PM

It was due to the material used at the time, as it oxidized and was subjected to the heat cycles under the glass it became brittle, most plastics/vinyls do this, and almost all cracked. If you didn't have this happen, then you were VERY lucky. My dad's '98 2500 cracked back in '09 so it was time to trade it in for his '08 cummins; he was lucky his lasted so long.

Warlock III 02-01-2012 10:33 PM

Yep. It's an Ultra Violet Ray thing.

Chrysler's had their share of issues with UV ray. I think one of the worst ones was paint starting in the early 70's. The UV rays would penetrate the clear coat, and as it was reflected off the paint, it would get trapped and cause the paint to peel and/or blister.

It's my understanding that a similar thing happened with the dash pads and the windshield. The rays would pass through the windshield, reflect off the dash pad, but couldn't escape back through the windshield magnifying the rays and accelerating deterioration.

ramfam 02-02-2012 10:08 AM

Also one thing ive noticed clean dash with soap and water once a year, treat it with a good armor all at least twice a year. And as for paint having 2 of these gen 2 trucks 95,01 it depends on where it was built the 95 has the rust race stripe. 01 dsnt I thought it might have been caused by ladders on the ladder rack but studying others noticed it was miss directed spray from factory. (uniform from end of hood to back of cab.

Warlock III 02-02-2012 07:15 PM

Any pointers on how to get the dirt out of the canyons on my dash, lol