DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   starting rebuild next month (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101715)

useurtoolswisely 01-16-2012 08:14 PM

starting rebuild next month

hey guys new to the site. but anyways im starting a rebuild on my 03 ram 4.7 and before i start ordering parts how do i find out if i have aluminum heads or steel heads. i have read up on the 206 cams and thinking im going to go with that set up with port and polished heads. also read u can use the 08 4.7 intake mani on the 03? if so what is needed for this? any other tips or parts i should get for this build and thanks in advance for the help.:Banana01:lol

useurtoolswisely 01-17-2012 05:03 PM

31 views and no tips or anything?

snrusnak 01-17-2012 11:17 PM

I am pretty sure all 4.7L's have aluminum heads and iron block. Check out airram.com, they have a lot of info (and the best heads available at a pretty good price). Yes you can run the 2008 or newer intake manifold on your heads with adapters, and a throttle body adapter (all sold at airram.com).

useurtoolswisely 01-18-2012 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info!!

IN2H2O 01-18-2012 08:50 PM

Good luck on your rebuild. I finished up mine last week and it was far easier than I expected. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post em up here for more responses.

Yes, you should have aluminum heads but good luck finding some cams. Not sure if the 206's are elusive as the H.O. Cams but when I was looking, I could not find anybody with stock. I was pretty happy with the stock performance so i just went with a straight rebuild.

How many miles on your old motor? What parts do you plan to replace and which are you going to reuse? I only ask because I replaced some that I didn't need to and reused some I shouldn't have. Valve lifters for example...my new engine is running strong but clicking away at an idle. ;) They aren't expensive and they won't take me long to change them out but it would have been much simpler to have done them during the rebuild.

useurtoolswisely 01-22-2012 10:25 AM

well i am going with a cam package with all new lifters springs seals and everything like that for the top end. as far a bottom end i am just having it honed out and replacing the rings because the motor is sitting at 130k right now. and plan on up grading the throttle boddy, intake mani, and headers and doing arp head bolts. and going to have the tranny looked through. also will be doing 410 gears with a detroit locker system and a tune. ohh yeah and some electric fans as well i know there are a few other things i am leaving out dont have my build list with me right now so im sure im leaving out something.

IN2H2O 01-22-2012 05:54 PM

That's a good looking list. Even at 280K miles, my cylinders had no wear and only required a hone. I replaced my pistons too. A new set was only $180 so i felt it was the right thing to do in the big picture if I wanted to reach 500K+ miles with this truck.

GTyankee 01-22-2012 06:12 PM

sometimes a new intake manifold can't be used, mostly because of the different sensors

A friend of mine just replaced his 2004 3.7L block, he used one out of a rolled over 2009 Jeep w/ 3.7L
The engine was identical, but he had to use his 2004 intake & all of the sensors & electrical connections that came with the old engine, so that it would still 'talk' to his computers

useurtoolswisely 01-22-2012 09:41 PM

That's good to know about the intake. Just started the deconstruction today got the heads and everything off getting it to the machine shop this week to start work on it