DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   545rfe torque converter (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102023)

Cammin Hemi 01-20-2012 10:36 AM

545rfe torque converter

Anybody running an Edge torque converter? I'm looking at a 2800 stall. What differences did you notice both on the street and the strip? I've never made changes to an automatic trans before. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snrusnak 01-20-2012 11:12 AM

I know blackramhemi has the billet edge 3000 stall converter with his 5.7L. He seemed to love it, said it didn't hurt streetability/driveability and lowered his track times a few tenths IIRC. I haven't seen him post here for months though. I believe he did comment a slight overall increase in trans temp (like 10 deg or so).

I have a billet edge converter in my garage I will soon be installing in my 4.7L with 545rfe.

chefred112 01-20-2012 11:18 AM

i run the edge 2800, truck feels like a different animal when driving aggressively..I like it alot..

RamTex 01-20-2012 11:45 AM

I just installed an edge 3000 TC in mine but im currently rebuilding my motor so i dont know what it is going to feel like... Im sure i will be able to get on it at least one good time then i can say good by to my transmission...

Cammin Hemi 01-20-2012 04:51 PM

Thanks for quick responses!:wavey: I feel alittle easier now about making this mod.:smileup: Around town and on the highway will the rpms be higher? If so, I'm not concerned about it because I have been known to do some "spirited" driving! Our trucks do surprise people!:158:

snrusnak 01-20-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for quick responses! I feel alittle easier now about making this mod. Around town and on the highway will the rpms be higher? If so, I'm not concerned about it because I have been known to do some "spirited" driving! Our trucks do surprise people!
Rpms will be unchanged while cruising. The torque converter has a clutch inside that locks up when cruising (and at certain other times) making a 100% mechanical connection, so if you're cruising it will be unchanged. TCC lockup is a GREAT advantage over older non lockup converters.

TheSatinPumpkin 01-20-2012 05:09 PM

I run a 3400 and it actually very pleasant during cruising stop and go. Hang on when going WOT from the hole though.

MidwestJ 01-20-2012 07:42 PM

I have one. I had a sonnax line booster that did not mix well with my edge TC.

Every time I'd come to a stoplight or stopsign my truck would stall out!

I was very unhappy with things until I removed the sonnax line booster and then the problem abated. Haven't had the stall-outs like I did.

I should've gone more aggressive with the stall. I was too concerned about being able to tow/haul so I should've got higher stall I suppose.

03lowram 01-21-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestJ (Post 700964)
I have one. I had a sonnax line booster that did not mix well with my edge TC.

Every time I'd come to a stoplight or stopsign my truck would stall out!

I was very unhappy with things until I removed the sonnax line booster and then the problem abated. Haven't had the stall-outs like I did.

I should've gone more aggressive with the stall. I was too concerned about being able to tow/haul so I should've got higher stall I suppose.

What size did you go with?

Cammin Hemi 01-22-2012 08:37 PM

How much higher will the rpm's be during normal city driving after installation? Maybe 2 to 300? Or maybe still close to stock ( keeping my heavy foot under control:smileup: )? I'm hoping the converter as a side benefit will lighten the load on the engine at lower speeds, especially with foot off gas & coasting up to a stop. Just recently at times while stopping the engine will bog down to 500 rpm or less, feels like it is going to puke, then pop back up to normal 750 rpm idle speed. I have no cel, plugs are new ( Champion ), air filter is clean, all hvac is shut off. If I pop in to neutral soon enough before stopping is does not bog down ( mabe still torque locked? ). I'm looking to solve this issue & as an added benefit improve performance. Still runs great under hard acceleration. Sound logical?:4-dontknow: