DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   door latch has ripped the steel on the door (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102028)

sportsnut44 01-20-2012 10:55 AM

door latch has ripped the steel on the door

when i bought my 96 1500 (ext cab with no rear doors) the hinges were already worn out so i adjusted the striker down to compensate.

yesterday with ice all over the truck i pulled the door open with 1 hand and the latch was falling inside the door, :SHOCKED:the sheet metal is ripped and the latch flops around. the door wont stay closed at all.

has anyone ever seen this before?

is there a repair kit or will i need a door shell ?:thk:

the door is not rusted , which is amazing for a Michigan truck.

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

brad12kx 01-22-2012 09:06 PM

Can't say I've ever seen this. Have you spoke to a body shop to get their opinion?
Might be worth getting a door from an auto wrecker. :4-dontknow:

redneck 01-24-2012 03:09 PM

im from MI as well and my door just did this last week. i found some washers and puthem in there. i was going to weld it but the sheet metal is way to thin. might wanna try that first. other than that you might wanna try and find a door from a junk yard for now and then save some money and buy a new door shell.

snrusnak 01-24-2012 03:11 PM

I'd get a body shop to repair it (weld) but get a quote first...a junk yard shell may be cheaper.

sonocativo 01-24-2012 06:17 PM

My hinge is worn, I did a simple home made bushing repair since the new kits you have to take the door off and drill it out. My door sgged but not as bad now after the quick repair I did.. but yes my door is torn where the latch is on the door, dont know why or how that happened other than the kid I got it from did alot of off roading and maybe the excess stress caused it to tear. I want to replace my upper hinge but just havent felt like messing with it myself ( doors are heavy ) lol

redneck 01-25-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 703883)
I'd get a body shop to repair it (weld) but get a quote first...a junk yard shell may be cheaper.

yes you are right a junk yard shell is cheaper but from working at a body shop and see alot of this on other cars and as a certified welder the only options would be to tig weld it and you still run the chance of blowing the sheet metal apart from how thin it is.

sonocativo 01-29-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 704500)
yes you are right a junk yard shell is cheaper but from working at a body shop and see alot of this on other cars and as a certified welder the only options would be to tig weld it and you still run the chance of blowing the sheet metal apart from how thin it is.

True, I tried to MIG mine on the lowest setting and all it did was blow holes in it.

Jason68847 04-01-2012 01:20 PM

I had an issue similar to this years ago on my first car (88 Pontiac grand am) pulled the handle up to open the door and tore metal about 1/4 inch it cause play in the outside handle so it wouldn't allow it to open unless u held handle in place while lifting up ( very frustrating) I repaired the issue by taking a punch and hammer and pushing the torn metal back in place and then tack welding the tear to avoid it happening again hope this helps

GTyankee 04-01-2012 02:00 PM

On older vehicles, we used to purchase a hinge kit
some times you get lucky & only need the hinge pin

Warlock III 04-01-2012 02:28 PM

I had to braze mine once and it held up pretty good. The only problem was that with that much heat there tends to be warping of the metal, and it had to be done in small tack spots and connected.