DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Windshield/Headliner/Dash Rattle (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102143)

roar84 01-21-2012 09:45 PM

Windshield/Headliner/Dash Rattle

As the title states, I am trying to cover all the bases for a rattle that I am having. I just don't know where it is. I have looked at the other threads on this issue and tried some of the suggestions but no luck.

The rattle sounds like it is coming somewhere from the top of the driver's side windshield or headliner but these trucks are so quiet I don't know. I did post a question on the '12 forum where a member put some glue on the windshield seal and their noise stopped.

Just looking for some feedback. Really don't want to have to go the dealer and have everything torn apart and have more problems that I have know.

If it makes a difference, in Michigan winter is here and it has been very cold and I usually notice it more even though the truck is warmed up inside the cabin.

Thanks

dkerr24 01-22-2012 04:01 PM

Try placing a piece of duct tape along the seam where the plastic windsheld trim comes down the cowling on the outside. I had a popping/rattling sound on my Ram 1500 and after I did that, the pop/rattle is completely gone. You only need a small piece covering the seam break. I also put a few small pieces where the cowling rubs against the windshield. I used black duct tape, and it is not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

Darin

mattelledge 02-21-2013 10:03 AM

Similar problem on my 2012 Laramie

I have a similar issue on my 2012 Laramie with only 2500 miles. it sounds like the slightest of rattles at the top of the windshield. it has only happened (so far) when there is ice or snow on the winshield. but, it rattles when on smooth road the same as when going over bumps. it's almost like the windshield gasket/glue or whatever they put in there is expanding as the car heats up or something. not sure. it doesn't sound like the dash though. of course, it goes away once the truck is heated up and all the ice is gone from windshield/trim. i should probably take it to the dealer when there is snow and ice on the windshield so that i can show them the "Intermitent" problem. gotta love those kind.

roar84 02-28-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattelledge (Post 1018516)
I have a similar issue on my 2012 Laramie with only 2500 miles. it sounds like the slightest of rattles at the top of the windshield. it has only happened (so far) when there is ice or snow on the winshield. but, it rattles when on smooth road the same as when going over bumps. it's almost like the windshield gasket/glue or whatever they put in there is expanding as the car heats up or something. not sure. it doesn't sound like the dash though. of course, it goes away once the truck is heated up and all the ice is gone from windshield/trim. i should probably take it to the dealer when there is snow and ice on the windshield so that i can show them the "Intermitent" problem. gotta love those kind.

It has been a while and I have an update for my issue. I went to the dealership and rode with a tech and they heard the noise. They determined the noise was coming from inside the headliner above the driver's seat. They told me to find the problem that they would have to take the whole headliner off, about a 3hr job. They said that it may make the noise worse if they took the headliner off.

I haven't made a decision yet but the noise drives me nuts when I go over bumps and the cab is cold. The noise sounds like gentle scratching on a chalk board. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Napalmx 05-07-2013 01:29 AM

Hey,

I also had/have a very similiar issue on my 12 Ram Sport - I found I only heard the rattle when the driver's side window or sunroof was open.

I did some investigating today and found that the rattle was coming from above the driver's head in the headliner. Which made sense why it only rattled with the window open - the wind pressure forced the headliner to move and rattle something in there.

I grabbed my handy flashlight and started to pull down slightly on the headliner while banging where the rattle would come from. I believe I found the problem and fixed it, keep my fingers crossed.

It appears the headlinder around the sunroof uses some plastic velco style connection - by these I mean the plastic connector has a male/female type of function and interlocks with each other. I found 6 out of the 7 connectors weren't making contact. FYI this is only visible with your head sticking out of the sunroof.

I was able to get my fingers back onto a sheet metal bracket that holds the top connector and I pushed them together firmly, all 6 of them that is. Now it appears the rattle is gone when I bang on the headliner - hopefully for good.

Something for you to consider.

Cheers,