DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   LSD Rear. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102145)

dig 01-21-2012 08:49 PM

LSD Rear.

Well today I made a few calls, the best price I got from a Dodge Dealer on a OEM LSD was 874.00 installed including tax. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. They tell me that it will not affect my warranty. The question do I really need it, probable not, but??? I guess I need a push one way or the other. How many of you have the LSD and those of you that does not are planning of installing one. This is in a 2010 crew cab with the 355, the truck has just a little over 5000 miles.

Stump3r 01-21-2012 08:55 PM

My 11 has 3.92's with the LSD, and my last truck had the LSD as well. I wouldn't be without one now. Decent upgrade IMO.

primo spaghetti 01-21-2012 09:32 PM

i also have the 2010 with the 355's and no LSD. While I wish i had LSD (first truck without it), i would not spend 900 bucks to get it. but im a cheap scottish bastage. with that being said, we have had some snow here the last week or so, and even in 4wheel, its not as great as it would be with the LSD.

i dont really understand why a truck would come standard with LSD ( i mean other than making it a paid for option), but i bought this puppy used, and unfortunately i will not be upgrading due to the cost.

RansRAM 01-21-2012 09:41 PM

I ordered mine built and wanted the 3.92 but the dealer talked me out of it. This happened before I found this forum which is why I'm stuck with the 3.55. Mines a 4x4 so I will not be looking to upgrade it. It's actually quick of the line in 4WD auto however in 2WD my single rear just cuts loose if I get on it too much. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get the LSD.

crusher 01-24-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dig (Post 701760)
Well today I made a few calls, the best price I got from a Dodge Dealer on a OEM LSD was 874.00 installed including tax. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. They tell me that it will not affect my warranty. The question do I really need it, probable not, but??? I guess I need a push one way or the other. How many of you have the LSD and those of you that does not are planning of installing one. This is in a 2010 crew cab with the 355, the truck has just a little over 5000 miles.

i have the 3.92 with lsd,... well worth it

GTyankee 01-24-2012 04:09 PM

I just turned down 2 very well paying jobs
1 trip into Oregon & 1 trip into Idaho
this time of year i would be running into snow & ice at both locations
NOT having LSD is 1 of the reasons for turning the jobs down

The other reason is that i am working on my Harley fuel system & the parts have started arriving, new gas tanks & they need to be pressure tested & powder coated
The new clutch cable has come in, the new speedometer is here & i have to get a new cable made up for it

Spring is just a couple weeks away here in SoCal

snrusnak 01-24-2012 04:24 PM

LSD is great, but it sure is expensive to add it after the fact. Personally, if the dealer is the one who talked you out of it, I'd go to them and try to strike a deal as an unsatisfied customer. maybe they'll split it with you or something like that.

I plan on adding it, but I plan on also going up to 4.10 gearing, so I'm keeping an eye out for a good used RT axle, should end up cheaper or the same cost as having all the work done...plus I can do it myself and it's easier, and I keep the old axle.

HeyBrownDog 01-25-2012 04:24 PM

LSD is totally worth it....too bad it's costing ya twice what the upgrade from the factory would have cost.

I like what the previous member said...see if the dealer will split the cost or help ya out the best they can. :4-dontknow:

Holleywud 01-25-2012 06:59 PM

I have a CC with 3.55's also. I'm considering installing a lockright locker. Can't justify doing all that work for limited slip. On top of that I'd have to let someone else work on my truck if I want it covered by the warranty. I could pop that lockright in there in less than an hour and be on my way.. Hmmm.

snrusnak 01-25-2012 08:00 PM

^I don't know why people think installing these units is an hour or couple hour job...I've never done it but am pretty sure it requires pulling the axles, which alone is probably an hour job.