DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   4wd issue? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102301)

TG1977 01-23-2012 11:52 AM

4wd issue?

So after riding yesterday I go to park my trailer and all I do is slip,fishtail and jack knife in the snow. 4 lock and 4 lo made no difference. Rear wheels spin but the fronts weren't engaging at the same time. Then they'd engage and disengage.
My friend had to pull my truck and trailer with his Chevy to get it in a better spot so the trailer could be parked.
What the heck? Brand new truck and the 4wd isn't engaging?? Or is this how the Dodge 4wd works?

doug713 01-23-2012 01:15 PM

I dunno girl, sounds like something aint right. My 4 wheel drive worked awesome. That was my 05 ram though. My 11 ram is just 2 wheel drive and I was wishing this last week that I had gotten the 4 wheel as I was in our cabin in the mountains (Galinburg, TN). Let us know what you come up with and if you have to end up taking it to get checked out..

thevike93 01-23-2012 02:05 PM

Sounds like something isn't right there. I've used my 4x4 a lot recently with some of the snow/ice we've been getting in MN. It takes a few seconds to engage though. Good luck!

herc 01-23-2012 05:54 PM

Does your selector have a 4Auto setting? If so, it sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing. I'm suspecting that on mine, the actual lockup isn't happening in 4Lock and it's stuck in 4Auto. So, when the rears spin enough, the fronts will grab, but they aren't always engaged like they SHOULD be in 4LOCK.

I haven't had a chance yet to get it in to the dealer to confirm, but I'd be interested to find out how yours turns out.

Here's another thread on the topic: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=101407

brad12kx 01-28-2012 01:43 AM

Something is not working right. When you select 4WD, you should have power to the fronts with no hesitation. The only 4WD mode that has hesitation, is 4WD Auto mode, as it does not shift in the front axle until it detects slippage in the rear, and even then, it shifts in very quick.

A trip to the dealer is warranted. :)

strider67 02-01-2012 11:17 AM

I have a 2011 laramie have the same problem, the dealer tells me its normal there is some kind of electronic clutch that engages the front. let me tell you its the shits for goin down a icey hill when the front tires lock up and the back keep pushing.

brad12kx 02-04-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider67 (Post 710441)
I have a 2011 laramie have the same problem, the dealer tells me its normal there is some kind of electronic clutch that engages the front. let me tell you its the shits for goin down a icey hill when the front tires lock up and the back keep pushing.

This is true in the case of '4WD Auto', but NOT in the other 4wd modes. It your experiencing this the NON-auto modes, something is wrong.

TG1977 02-15-2012 09:57 AM

Ok, so after reading the manual and being in the mud again last weekend, I attempted to get into 4low again. The maual said I hve to hit the neutral button then shift into 4lo. Well the neutral button won't light up. I did it at a slow roll. I did it in park in drive and in neutral. Darn thing refuses to light up.
Am i doing something wrong or do I have to go into the dealer and play the stupid girl then give them hell when I get the runaround?

huntergreen 02-15-2012 11:08 AM

i have never used 4 low, butmy 4wd seems to work fine. turn knob past awd and after a few feet the 4wd kicks in and all is good. have you all checked the fluid level in the t-case?

crusher 02-15-2012 11:19 AM

i would go back to the dealer,.. but before try this if you didnt arlready

mine dosent have the auto mode but i can shift in 4x4 in any speed , and in 4x4 low without the neutral button option,.. but in neutral(shifter in neutral) ,...

maybe you should try this , at dead stop,put your shifter in neutral, press and hold the brakes then select the 4x4 mode you desire