DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Engine Warm up time (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102520)

oh58pilot 01-25-2012 02:58 PM

Engine Warm up time

Hello all,
I'm having a debate about proper warm up time for the Cummins with a friend. It seems he thinks that his engine should be warmed up 15-30 minutes before driving. I think that is WAAAY too long.
I generally start my engine and wait till I have oil pressure, kick it up to about 12-1500rpm for about thirty seconds to a minute,(depending on outside temp), then start driving....slowly..keeping the rpm around15-18 for a few miles so that it gets to operating temp faster. He says I am damaging my engine by making it warm up too fast. I say he is damaging his engine by making it stay below operating temp too long. I also think he's wasting fuel and costing himself a lot of dough. I realize that colder weather would take a little more time, but... 20-30 minutes?
Any thoughts???

CdnoilRAM 01-25-2012 04:04 PM

Warm up time is really dependant on temperature with the diesels, it also makes a difference if you have a high-idle function as well since that cuts the warm up time down. Generally you should allow a diesel to warm up in the winter for at least 5 min since the most damage occurs to a diesel when it's cold due to the low oil pressure not lubricating the piston skirt properly. The diesels are a lot harder on the sleeved walls because they run at a much higher chamber pressure and you can start having ring/side wall scoring issues if you don't have the proper lubrication; you can also overheat the top piston ring and crack the top of the piston.

Unless you're running a propane heater under the engine (which we do is extremely cold temperatures!) you can't heat the block too fast on a diesel, but you can definately do damage by putting load on it when it's cold.

brad12kx 01-27-2012 12:23 AM

:iagree: with Kurtis. The big killer is lubrication, which is why oil pan heaters are quite popular with diesel owners in very cold climates. I still have 2 diesels that I run year round, one in a tractor, the other in a large portable generator. As both have an extreme amount of hours on them. I use both an oil pan heater and a recirculation block heater to ensure the oil flows. In -30 deg C (about -20 deg F), I warm them up for at least 5 minutes, then load them lightly until they are at full operating temp. One of the engines has just over 8000 hours, the other is unknown, as the hour meter quit a few years ago at 12,500 hours. neither engine has ever had more than basic maintenance done to it. :4-dontknow: I'm not a diesel guy, but have followed the recommendation of 90 year old that ran diesels all his life, and so far it's paying off for me. :)

Nitro1 02-04-2012 05:39 AM

These pros are on the money. I use a block heater on mine. put it on a timer so she aint on all night. She starts real easy on real cold days. I use one of those high tec pedal props to keep rpms at 1200. lol . 5 -10 min. Then take it easy on the old girl till she warm up. Man if i warmed my truck for 15 -30 mins my neibhors would shoot me.

ramfam 02-05-2012 08:09 PM

It depends I run a cummings 5.9 in a 24 ft. box truck with 350,000 km. I never use block heater and let it warm up 10 min. No issues with it for the 6 years ive ran it

ramfam 02-05-2012 08:11 PM

Now how you warm up your truck is the same way I warm up my gasser truck. Seems to work well.