DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Potential issues with lowering? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102659)

Ramfd 01-26-2012 10:38 PM

Potential issues with lowering?

I am planning on dropping my 09 QC with a 2/4 drop kit either the Belltech or McGaughys(not sure of spelling) just going with the basic kits with stock shocks. question is has any body had any wear issues with time i.e. abnormal tire wear or ball joint issues? how hard is it to get the front end alligned with the kits. also any other upgrades or parts that might make one or the other of these kits better?

icywhite 01-27-2012 11:15 PM

you will need to get an allinment or it most likely have a problem with wear as far as problems with getting it is to far out you can get a camber kit for around a 100 buck that will correct it

25bduse 01-29-2012 07:25 PM

Bump...same here

P Rod 01-29-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramfd (Post 705800)
I am planning on dropping my 09 QC with a 2/4 drop kit either the Belltech or McGaughys(not sure of spelling) just going with the basic kits with stock shocks. question is has any body had any wear issues with time i.e. abnormal tire wear or ball joint issues? how hard is it to get the front end alligned with the kits. also any other upgrades or parts that might make one or the other of these kits better?

If I could make a recommendation is to spend the extra money (if buget allows) and get the complete kit with the shorter shocks that are designed for the shorter, stiffer springs. I really think you will be happy you did. If you think about it, stock shocks on a 4" drop meens your shocks will all ready be compressed 4" before you even haul/tow or even hit a bump. From what I have heard Bell-tech and Mc-G both make good kits. I have the GF 2"/3" complete kit on my Crew cab, and love the way it looks/rides. Re alignment no problem, no odd tire wear after over 10k miles on my kit. Good Luck

Stuck2theAxles 01-29-2012 10:06 PM

There really are no issues that can come about by lowering the truck, obviously your going to have to align it that a givin, the perfect kit would be have the beltech kit with the hardware from the rear of the McGaughys kit ( trac bar bracket and end links ) i personally like the McGaughys kit but the only draw back is using the stock shocks cuz they are alittle long and when you put the truck up on a lift it puts the sway bar in an awkard position cuz the links are so short , id say your best bet is to get the McGaughys then order the belltech rear shocks that would be perfect when i had my kit installed on my 11 CC i got some offroad limit straps and it was perfect, why spend 100 when you can get straps for 35 haha, if you want a kit i have my McGaughys kit forsale rite now

Ramfd 01-29-2012 10:30 PM

thanks guys for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for. stuck2theaxles I saw your post in one of the other threads. I am very interested in your kit. I have income tax money coming in wednesday. My wife was gracious enough to allow me about $1000. one of my top priorities is to get a hard tonneau cover then I am planning on that kit if you still have it by then.

TheSatinPumpkin 01-30-2012 07:20 AM

Adjust/correct your pinion angle if when needed.

Ramfd 02-01-2012 09:03 PM

So i think i am going with the Belltech kit with the street performance shocks, my question now is, is there a way to buy just the sway bar end links and track bar bracket seperatly to add to this kit? also how do i adjust/correct the pinion angle? shims i assume? also, what happens to the bumpstops up front, I think i have read they have to be cut? what kind of fabricating is involved in the front? I am jsut trying to make sure i dont have any surprises when i get to this.