DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   What would be a good tonneau cover to purchase??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102779)

Chunkem 01-28-2012 05:47 AM

What would be a good tonneau cover to purchase???

Hey guys,

I am still a rookie on the forum however I recently purchased a Dodge Longhorn with the Rambox and was wondering what would be a good tonneau to purchase. I want something that lasts and looks good...

I have talked to some people and they are suggesting the Bakflip F1?
I have also been told to go with the G2. Can anyone shed any light on this subject for me.

I wont mind spending a little extra if it gets me a long lasting tonneau cover...

Thanks..

Ed

thehammer 01-28-2012 09:13 AM

Bakflip F1

The F1 looks and works great. Thats what I put on my truck after a lot of reading and research here and elsewhere. It's very easy to install. I like the fact that it does not sit on top of the sides of the box.

Bent21606 01-28-2012 09:32 AM

the solid fold trifold is the best thing i got for my truck. instals in 2 minutes and comes completely off with no mounting brackets or anything left on in about a minute. you can stand on it or use it for a seat too. for about 7 or 800 its a hell of a bargain

Hiker Guy 01-28-2012 11:19 AM

There is no perfect tonneau cover for all situations. I had originally purchased the G4 Elite, as I liked the security features of this cover. Unfortunately, it was heavily damaged during shipment, and I took that as a sign, and switching to the F1.

I like the looks of the F1 much better, with the G4 appearing old fashioned compared. Admittedly, the F1 does not appear as secure as the G4. Still, it would take someone who is intent on ripping into something to get through each cover.

BJPUSMC 01-28-2012 11:49 AM

I have had my G2 for almost two years and its been great. It has help up great and very functional.

Razorbass 01-28-2012 11:50 AM

I have the Bakflip F1. Primarily because it works with the Ramboxes. Good cover but expensive. Still wish someone would manufacture a cover similar to what is on the Avalanche.

Vinman 01-29-2012 02:38 AM

I got the tonno pro lo roll. I really like the look, it's low profile, blends in perfect and looks great since both it and my Ram are black.

Since installing it I have removed it twice to haul cargo, so I have gone through the install and removal process a couple times. It's easy now and probably takes 5-6 minutes to completely remove and about 10- ish to re-install.

Above is the good news and I want to make it clear I am happy with it.

However.... The initial install didn't go as smooth as I expected. Main reason, the material is very tight out of the box, unforgiving and basically won't stretch. The instructions say to open it up and let it sit in the sun. I did this on a 75 ish california day, not cold, but not hot.

I followed the instructions and mounted the cover to it's mounting rails (at this point it's now rolled up), I then put on the brackets and mounted the rails to the bed. At this point you roll out the cover and latch it at the bed.... There was a 0.0% chance I could latch it, it was waaaaaay to tight and every time I tried to muscle it to get that first initial close.... The rails would come off the bed mounts due to the pressure I needed to try and close it.:doh:

Long story short, how did I solve this initial.... Stretch....close....latch.... Issue.... I put the cover mounted to its rails on my grass and to get it to stretch enough to close the first time, I literally had to step on it with my weight. Once I did this I rolled it back up, re mounted it to the bed, rolled it out and it latched fine.

Hope this helps someone

Thx
Vinman

ram7833 01-29-2012 11:18 AM

I got the truxedo qt and it works really good. Its one of the only few that will fit if you have a backrack like I do. I rolls all up and you can remove the entire tarp in 2 secs to load up a quad ...

ramjam 01-29-2012 11:22 AM

G2 here - cheaper than F1 and does a great job. Easy to install - no issues / no drilling / secure / looks good.

Hogking 01-29-2012 01:16 PM

Check out the extang tri-fold from extang.com........I have it. Best I've seen out there! 15 min install, no drilling.