DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Towing Cross Country (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102787)

Ryan421 01-28-2012 09:28 AM

Towing Cross Country

Hello everyone.

So basically i have redid everything on my ram from the brakes to sparkplugs i have done every kind of service that can be done. that i know of. so she is running great.

the 1st of april i will be towing a 2008 Ford Mustang across country(my buddys) from north carolina to california. i will be renting a uhual trailer because thats the only kind of place i know i can get a trailer from. Just looking for any kind of ideas people could have that will help me and my truck out as i am towing this car.

GTyankee 01-28-2012 10:59 AM

Where are you going in California
& which routes

Like to go to Southern California, any where from San Diego to Los Angeles
I would take the I-40, then the 30, then the 20, then the I-10
Take your time, there is a lot of nothing between Dallas, Texas & the Pacific Ocean
Even trees shrink to nothing just out of Dallas & don't start growing again until your over half way across California
:LOL:

Ryan421 01-28-2012 11:39 PM

ill be headed to the 10 im stationed in Camp Pendleton which is southern part just about san diego... i made the trip just in the mustang 2 months ago but now i have my truck and it will save us to just drive one.

So any towing tips?
anybody have any ideas on what i should do prior to making this truck besides oil change and checking all my fluids and brakes and stuff like that ive never towed anything this far so any kind of tips would be greatly appreciated

GTyankee 01-29-2012 02:09 AM

Someone will give you all the towing tips that you need

From where you say that you are starting from, North Carolina
take the 40, 30, 20, 10, & Interstate 8 to the 805, & then Interstate 5 North to Oceanside, then take the CAMP PENDLETON/HARBOR DR. off ramp

blow your horn going through El Cajon Ca :) that is on the west side of the HILLS, they are not quite high enough to be called mountains

I go onto Camp Pendleton quite often, helping to move Office Trailers on & off the base

lots of construction going on in there

There are also other RamforumZ members on the base

Ryan421 01-29-2012 09:57 AM

yeah ive made the trip before just never towing haha thx for all the stuff though ill lay the horn down the whole way through should be interesting :)

RogerMedic71 02-06-2013 12:48 AM

The farthest I've towed is CT to FL. One thing I would say is to plan your route and know where the gas stops are. That tank goes quick towing.

Hermes1 02-06-2013 09:46 AM

Other than what has been suggested, I would say when towing don't be in a hurry, for safety sake and better MPG which is sure to take a hit anyway.

kevmic28 02-10-2013 10:28 PM

Buy extra heavy duty straps. The ones on the uhaul tailers that I have rented in the past just go over the front wheels. Going that far you need to make sure the back of the car doesnt bounce around or off the trailer. Strap the back down in a crossover fashion. Back left of car to right back of trailer and vice versa.