DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (
-   -   Painting grill and bumpers black (

Morlow 01-28-2012 02:19 PM

Painting grill and bumpers black
So I don't like chrome and I would love to paint my grill and bumpers black. I have no experience painting vehicles but I would love to do it myself if I could. I don't want to pay someone to do it since I'm afraid to even find out how much they would charge. Is this something I may be able to do myself, with a little bit of research?

2011 ASSAULT 800 01-28-2012 03:58 PM

I have no experience with painting over chrome but I know there are a few members on here that have done their grilles and bumpers too, I think SS4luck did his grille but I could be mistaken for someone else, did you try searching for threads at the top of the page?

Ram10tuff 01-28-2012 04:59 PM

I did my rims and grill so far with plasti. Stuff is amazing!!! Next are bumpers.Real cheap and easy

blackedout12 01-28-2012 10:35 PM

If you would like to paint the bumpers, I did mine or my previous 10 QC Dodge, make sure you ruff up the chrome with like some 80 Grit Sand paper. Wipe down with alcohol and a tack cloth. Spray base coat with an etching Primer to adhere better to the chrome. After at least 2 coats of etching primer put a couple coats of top coat (color) and then put at least 2 coats of clear. This is about a 2-3 day process to give time for all paints to dry the recommended time. I will post pics later once I find.

Morlow 01-28-2012 11:56 PM

I'm trying to decide between painting them black myself or just waiting a few months and saving up for a Line-X job. The advantage of Line-X is it will be much more durable, but I don't know how much they charge for the job (they are closed on the weekend). If I go the Line-X route I will have them hit my side steps as well.

Edit: After some more reading I have narrowed the choices down to having the parts powder coated or Line-X'd or Rhino Lined. I'm guessing all three are very expensive so I probably won't do any right away but I will call around Monday and get some pricing info to see how prices vary.

Code Blue 01-30-2012 08:24 PM

Oops.... I just posted a thread basically asking the same question.

Morlow 01-30-2012 11:00 PM

I called line x and they said it isn't guarunteed to stick to chrome, and they said it would be $500 for just the bumpers. So that is definitely a no go. I called a powder coating shop next and they quoted me $150 for the bumpers and they say it will stick fine. But they also said it will take 1-1.5 weeks for the process. Since I can't drive the truck with no bumpers that would be pretty rough to go that long without it.

brad12kx 01-30-2012 11:11 PM

Powder coating would be about the best way for long term durability at a reasonable cost.

As for being with them for a couple of weeks, you could go to an auto wrecker, or possibly a body shop and pick up a damaged bumper for next to nothing to put o the truck while yours is at the powder coater. Just a thought. :)

ACLARK93 01-30-2012 11:12 PM

I painted my rear bumper and emblems with Plastidip and its only like 5 bucks at the local hardware store just clean off the bumper and very lightly spray on like 4 or 5 coats and it makes it nice and flat black

Morlow 01-30-2012 11:33 PM

I looked into plastidip but it has trouble sticking to chrome according to some projects on here. When i paint it i want it to be more permanent.