DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Advice wanted on a Mystery Mod (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102823)

Whiskey26 01-28-2012 05:14 PM

Advice wanted on a Mystery Mod

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I bought my truck 4 months ago and havent done anything major other than tires/wheels and some LED's. The truck came with an older "Valor" CD/DVD/NAV system with a 7" touch screen monitor. That was cool but wasnt the main selling point and I didn't ask much about it when I bought the truck. The salesman said that there were a couple of dead remotes in the glovebox for it. The stereo hasnt been one of the top priorities for me but I got a suprise today. I found the remotes and there was one that was in two pieces and looked pretty crappy. I cleaned out the corroded battery, glued it back together, popped a new battery in and started pressing buttons.... Low and behold Ive got an alarm with keyless entry and a lil blue led indicator. Cool enough I thought because until then I didnt have keyless entry. I then tried the red button, which I thought would be the panic button, to hear it sound off. It didnt work so I hit it again and the remote beeped at me and my truck CRANKED ITSELF....:SHOCKED:
This is the remote for It and Im trying to get some advice on problems/issues that may arise from this mod as it is one that I hadnt even considered doing. Dont know much about the Python but I found the control box and a shock sensor tucked under the steering column. Any thoughts?

ShiftJockey 01-28-2012 05:22 PM

hmmm...sounds like an aftermarket remote start in addition to keyless entry. Did the truck start?

Whiskey26 01-28-2012 05:40 PM

Yes, cranked right up. Through trial and error I figured out that the brake pedal cancels it out. Putting the key in and turning to on allows brake and shift into gear. Alarm works, keyless entry works, and now it starts itself....

MoparMike10 01-28-2012 06:04 PM

I have owned other auto start alarm systems from Clifford and Directed Electronics and they worked flawlessly. I might suggest getting a back up remote, if you didn't already have one in the glove box, in case that one gives you any trouble. You could also have an installer look at it to check the installation, just to make sure it was done properly, wouldn't want to be stranded with a malfunctioning alarm system.

That sure is a nice surprise to find, wish it happened to me too.

Chris36608 02-03-2012 08:15 AM

I did the exact same thing, almost. I bought the truck, and it had an aftermarket Viper alarm system. Pushed the red asterisk a million times, thinking it had a panic feature and wasn't working. I accidentally leaned against the tailgate with the keyless entry in my pocket, and vroom. Truck started. Turns out you have to hold the Lock, Unlock, and press the asterisk. Great surprise.

- Christopher

2k84by 02-03-2012 08:51 PM

Python is the same as clifford/viper. just different options available. If i remember right clifford is the top, followed by viper, then python (all are made by DEI)(similar to caddy, chevy, gmc) python is still a good brand though...everything dei makes is good. I would purchase another remote for it, you should be able to find the remotes on ebay. You said you found the brain (control box), it should have the part number on it so you can order another remote that works for it.

Great find!

BTW, pushing AUX and lock/unlock should "silence" the alarm beep when you lock/unlock if you care....or have neighbors like mine who bitch and moan about any sound after 9pm

WhiteGoat2011 02-03-2012 08:57 PM

When I did alarm installs on the Clifford and directed electronic alarms, there was a "pit-stop" option. With the truck running if you did the remote start option it would allow you to remove the keys while leaving the truck running.

trojanman22 02-04-2012 02:59 AM

pushing the break is an anti theft feature with those alarms. if you were to remote start the truck and someone jumped in it and tried to take off, when they pushed the brake to put it in gear the truck will die.