DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Any ideas on an aftermarket intake system? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102982)

Ram2300 01-30-2012 01:51 AM

Any ideas on an aftermarket intake system?

I was gonna purchase a aftermarket K&N intake system for my truck but I read online that the stock intake has no restrictions and that a aftermarket intake is a waste of money and to just buy a K&N filter? I need some opinions please.

ACLARK93 01-30-2012 03:19 AM

I don't know if it depends on the year of your truck or not, but I've had a K&N on my 97 and on my 04 now. Neither of my trucks were hemi's and the filter charger kit helped throttle response a lot . My 04 had a huge resonator connected to the stock intake and the k&n replaced it. No problems what so ever id buy one :smileup:

Biggmaxx 01-30-2012 11:37 AM

I just installed an AEM Bruteforce on my 11 yesterday and I'm very happy with it. The truck sounds like a beast when you mash the gas and the kit itself is a very nice fit and looks great. I haven't got on the highway yet to see if mpgs have improved but either way I'm happy. I will get pics up as soon as I get a chance

Biggmaxx 01-30-2012 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is, it's a little dirty under the hood but you get the idea

Corey Jackson 01-30-2012 01:04 PM

The purpose of a cold air intake is just that, to take cold air from outside the engine compartment and get it into the engine. On my '11 there are no restrictions from the air filter to the throttle body. The air coming in from the "fender" is cold outside air so why would I spend they money on an aftermarket CAI....I wouldn't. I WOULD however replace the filter with a K&N. I use them in my car ( '05 Magnum ) and my truck and have always used them for moto. Just my 2 cents worth but if you like the look, have money to burn..lol, and don't really care if it's actually helping then go for it. Thnaks for the 1 year update by the way!!!

dodgert 01-30-2012 01:09 PM

I put the k&n on mine and for those that think the stock one is fine LOL the path the air has to get to it is so small its pointless. So any way i drilled a 4'' hole in the bottom of my k&n ( can also do this with the stock box ) then run a piece of 4'' tubing down to the bottom grill where i have a scoop NOW its cold air injected

joewally 01-30-2012 02:30 PM

i have the airaid. So far so good. Its matched up a magnaflow exhaust so the truck is breathing better. I have heard the stock air box was designed perfectly for the truck and that most guys just drop in the K&N filter. I liked the noise the new air intake made so thats why i kept it in.

dodgert 01-30-2012 02:41 PM

No what im saying is the air channel is so small and restrictive its stupid

mk3barti 01-30-2012 09:46 PM

I put a Volant on my 11 a couple months ago. I cannot really say that it made any difference in power or throttle response. I bought it for a little bit of sound because I am not going to change my exhaust. Volant claims 16 hp difference but I really doubt I have that gain. Having said that it sounds perfect. Not too loud but enough when I put it under hard acceleration.

mgwarrior350 01-30-2012 10:07 PM

I had a volant and I loved it because the filter is enclosed and stays pretty clean.