DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Stock Brakes on the 2010 Underpowered (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103079)

SawdustJ 01-30-2012 11:21 PM

Stock Brakes on the 2010 Underpowered

Hi gang,

First post.... my 2010 is my daily driver / work truck. The brakes, to me, seem underpowered. My '08 before this one was more or less the same. I'm at the point now where I need to replace my front brakes. I'm not keen to replace with originals an am considering upgrading to something more performance or heavier duty oriented.

Can anyone make any suggestions or perhaps share their experiences if they've gone down this path?

Much appreciated.

JJ

Rambunkshuss 01-30-2012 11:56 PM

Drilled rotors & Hawk ceramic pads

GTyankee 01-31-2012 01:14 AM

you might look at a company that sells at local auto parts stores like PEP BOYS
great brakes &rotors

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

GearHd6 01-31-2012 07:53 AM

Wow, so far I'm very impressed with my 2010's brakes. Pedal feel seems real good to me and it doesn't take much pedal pressure to get it slowing up in a hurry.

snrusnak 01-31-2012 04:40 PM

^I agree, the 3rd and 4th gen rams have the best braking capability of any full size light duty truck. The fact that you are due for brakes alone is probably half the issue. A good set of pads is about all you can do, drilled or slotted rotors help a little.

SawdustJ 02-01-2012 12:17 AM

Hi everyone,

My truck is not a leisure vehicle or the grocery runner, that's what the wife's minivan is for.... My truck gets worked and routinely carries payloads ranging from a couple hundred pounds to a thousand pounds. Perhaps this is one of the reaons I feel the stock brakes aren't cutting it.

Besides the obvious, what's the difference between slotted and drilled rotors? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

blk2011st 02-01-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SawdustJ (Post 710227)
Hi everyone,

My truck is not a leisure vehicle or the grocery runner, that's what the wife's minivan is for.... My truck gets worked and routinely carries payloads ranging from a couple hundred pounds to a thousand pounds. Perhaps this is one of the reaons I feel the stock brakes aren't cutting it.

Besides the obvious, what's the difference between slotted and drilled rotors? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

It is mainly for venting and dispersing heat. I wouldnt call one better than the other. You can get drilled rotors, slotted rotors, or drilled AND slotted rotors. I personally dont like drilled rotors because of previous experiences on my mustang where they would get small cracks in between the holes after several good heat cycles. I love the ebc DIMPLED and slotted rotors. I plan on getting some for my ram with some ebc "green stuff" pads when the time comes.

snrusnak 02-01-2012 07:56 AM

I remember seeing an article about drilled vs. slotted and one was deemed better than the other, because it was less likely to warp and crack, and had more contact surface area....I just can't remember which one it was now though lol.

If I'm not mistaken also there are some "big brake kits" out there.

storeboy 02-01-2012 10:39 PM

Go for some dimple and slotted rotors and some EBC brake pads (I have heard green or yellow work the best). Doing both of these will make a huge difference in your braking.

The difference between drilled and dimpled rotors are that drilled are just that, they are drilled all the way through. They are a lot more prone to cracking and warping (especially if you drive through a lot of puddles). Dimpled rotors just have little dots, but don't go all the way through (about the same depth as the slots). Since they are not drilled all the way through they tend to hold up better to warping while at the same time help to dissipate heat.

MoparMike10 02-01-2012 11:18 PM

Between drilled and slotted, I have had much better luck with slotted. The cheaper, non big brake, drilled rotors can crack and warp. I've had two sets on other vehicles and neither lasted more that two sets of pads. The slotted rotors performed better for me and were much more durable.

A drilled or drilled and slotted big brake set from companies like Baer or Brembo is where you are going to see the big improvements.