DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Wheel hop (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103144)

Idrivemav 01-31-2012 07:42 PM

Wheel hop

My truck has som wheel hop whenever I spin it will spin good at first but when it starts to hook it starts hopping the suspension wheels and tires are all stock how do I get rid of it

RamTex 02-01-2012 12:34 AM

Im assuming that this is a rear wheel drive truck and you may want to try and just walk it out of the whole. Not knowing what performance mods you have i cant really tell you what to do. I think that you should be fine if you have the big 3. I cant say i have ever heard of wheel hop on this forum being an issue with or without mods but hey you never know.

Idrivemav 02-01-2012 02:32 AM

All my truck has done is a cai and muffler delete it's a 2012 single cab express I'm probably goin to lower it in the next few weeks

2011lilred 02-01-2012 06:46 AM

I don't think anyone else has reported wheel hop issues with the 4th gen control arm suspension setup, are you sure it's not the traction control cycling in and out? If it is true wheel hop, lowering it may make it worse, as lowering a control arm rear suspension affects the geometry and changes the instant center. To eliminate wheel hop, the goal is to drive the rear tires down into the ground, thus planting the tires harder. If you look at a 64-72 Chevelle rear suspension, which is functionally the same as the 4th gen Ram setup, drag racers use either "no-hop" bars on the uppper control arms, which raise the pick-up point at the axle for the upper bar and/or relocated lower control arm mounts which lower the pick up point at the axle for the lower bar. This this is also the whole design intent of Cal-Tracs bars for leaf spring cars and the old South Side Machine bars for both leaf springs and control arms. Some folks will talk about "squat", but this is counter-productive as "squat" is actual a result of the rear suspension drawing the tires up into the body and unloading the tires, so while a car that "squats" off the line looks like it's good for weight transfer, it is not - watch a Super Stock car someday, not only the Mopars, but even the rear of the fast Ford and Chevy cars lift up on launch. If you lower your 4th gen, the upper control arm will get a better angle, but the lower control arm will get a worse angle. This may or may not make the wheel hop even worse. I don't know of anyone making a lower control arm relocation bracket for the 4th gen Rams yet, but one for a 94-96 Impala SS looks really close and might work or be adaptable. I considered trying one, but I haven't had any traction problems so at this point it would be moot, I just need more gear - I've cut 2.175 60ft times on the stock 20s with 3.55 gears. Good luck.

chefred112 02-01-2012 08:36 PM

I'm surprised to hear about wheel hop in a 4th gen...3rd gens yes with the old leaf spring setup...

snrusnak 02-01-2012 08:41 PM

Yeah I wouldn't expect wheel hop with the 4th gens and the coil springs and "5 link" and all....kind of strange. Mine has no wheel hop (although only one wheel spins....)

ram71351 02-03-2012 01:30 PM

Idrivemav is correct, I have experienced wheel hop several times myself. I was also told to move my lower control arm more to the back to eliminate it. Haven't done it yet. Looking for a kit to come out hopefully.

dodgert 02-03-2012 01:32 PM

I have yet to exp this and i have already been through a set of tires lol

snrusnak 02-03-2012 02:42 PM

What are you guys refering to when you say "lower control arm"?

incubus868 02-03-2012 05:15 PM

I have the same problem open rear end 3.55 if I floor it around 50 mph when it drops to second my back end starts hopping and it is actually hopping because I can feel the back of the truck kicking off to the side it is not a problem at lower speeds though