DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Can anyone tell me why my leather seats have a white film on them???? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103267)

Chunkem 02-01-2012 09:55 PM

Can anyone tell me why my leather seats have a white film on them????

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why my leather seats have a white film on them.

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Longhorn with only 1900 kms. I opened my truck the other day and noticed that the entire interior appears to have a white film on the seats. I wiped it off with my hand but it came back...

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same issue or is it possible that the leather is drying out????

My truck is in my garage that is heated and has not been driven this winter. Am I missing something here.

Thanks,

Ed

CdnoilRAM 02-01-2012 10:01 PM

is it chalky or is it a liquid film?

Chunkem 02-01-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 711009)
is it chalky or is it a liquid film?

It actually chalky??? Any reason???

CdnoilRAM 02-01-2012 10:11 PM

It's possible you just have dust build up from stuff sifting down from the headliner/through vents, but I would always recommend you condition your leather regardless with something natural and not silicone based.

Chunkem 02-01-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 711030)
It's possible you just have dust build up from stuff sifting down from the headliner/through vents, but I would always recommend you condition your leather regardless with something natural and not silicone based.

Yeah I thought about that, I went to the Dealer and they the one guy said that he thought it was mold????

I went to another dealer and they just gave me some leather conditioner that smells like cherry. I put some of that on a section of the seat and I am going to have a look in the morning. The truck is not even a year old so I dont think I should be having this issue.

Thanks for the input though it is appreciated.

CdnoilRAM 02-01-2012 11:16 PM

It depends on how much humidity is in your cab if it's sitting in a warm garage, mold/mildew is a possibility I hadn't thought of. There are many factors that can cause these things, and it being a new vehicle may have no effect on what is causing it. Have you run the heater/cooling system to smell for anything out of the ordinary?

daggertats 02-02-2012 05:47 AM

my guess is mold....every now and then we get coats in at work with that on it.once you clean it good since your garage is heated id leave the windows down when truck is in storage. let the interior breathe and see if it returns.

Chunkem 02-02-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 711105)
It depends on how much humidity is in your cab if it's sitting in a warm garage, mold/mildew is a possibility I hadn't thought of. There are many factors that can cause these things, and it being a new vehicle may have no effect on what is causing it. Have you run the heater/cooling system to smell for anything out of the ordinary?

I have turned it on and have run the cooling system and heating and have not smelled anything at all????

Chunkem 02-02-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggertats (Post 711228)
my guess is mold....every now and then we get coats in at work with that on it.once you clean it good since your garage is heated id leave the windows down when truck is in storage. let the interior breathe and see if it returns.

Ok thanks will do. The dealership gave me some stuff to put on the interior with a sponge so I have tried that and will see what happens.

I appreciate all the domments and ideas. It is just frustrating due to the fact that this is a brand new truck and the brown leather is literally turning white......

Thanks again...

Ed

White Ram 02-06-2012 09:54 PM

This thread just begs for a smart a$$ comment about white stuff on the seats...but this is a family show so I will just chuckle to myself.