DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Warranty Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Am i cheap? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103278)

WVU RAM 02-01-2012 11:15 PM

Am i cheap?

Hey guys, called for quote for Genuine Chrysler Group Service Contract, Max Care.....quotes were 6yr, 85,000mi=$2003.00, 10% down, 24mos to pay with no intrest. 7yr, 100,000mi=$2603.00, same payment options.

I'm original owner of 2009 Ram, so I have lifetime powertrain. The Chrysler rep told me that these costs were already taking consideration of my lifetime warranty. So, is this about right? Or does price seem high?

Currently I have 31,250mi on my truck. Runs like a dream, just need new tires. I serched 2009 forum about extended warranty costs, but couldn't find many answers. Thanks for your help. Intend on keeping my truck as long as possible, but I have bad rep for trading.

2012 Orange Bowl
(WVU 70 Clemson 33) The last time I saw a tiger get beat that bad was by a white woman with a golf club.

CdnoilRAM 02-01-2012 11:22 PM

2K is what I've heard from a lot of people, and if you think about what some costs are over the long term it's well worth it. Look at costs of non-drivetrain issues: water pumps are around $350 to replace, A/C issues can easily run into the thousands (had mine fixed to the tune of $1700 with 80kms left on my warranty).

Think of it like buying comprehensive insurance, you don't NEED it, and yeah, it costs lots, but when you DO need it, you're sure glad you're not shelling out the money then.

ArmyofOne 02-04-2012 12:18 AM

I would skip it honestly. You have the lifetime powertrain, which is where most of your expensive costs are going to come from anyway (transmission, rear ends, engine rebuilds etc), you can get a cheaper warranty through some other company that will do the same as max care for thousands cheaper.

Me? I run lifetime/MaxCare (not the original owner), but i bundled it in at the dealer and got the warranty at dealer cost. I paid exactly $995 for my MaxCare warranty. Mine was a unique sityation though. My truck was never officially titled, registered or sold to anyone. I am the first "owner". The dealership owned it before I did, put 42,900 miles on it driving it to various events with their advertising vinyls on it.

As a result, I was able to get the Lifetime powertrain warranty, pay only $21,000 for the truck, and $995 for the MaxCare warranty that covers everything mechanical on the truck.

GTyankee 02-04-2012 02:37 AM

I also have the 2009 Ram
lifetime drive train warranty
i bought the MAXIMUM CARE LIFETIME Warranty just before i hit 36,000 miles
my Original warranty was the basic care 7 year warranty
I turned it in & it was Pro Rated & that was put towards the new warranty
I am a happy camper with $100 deductible, on EVERY PART, except wear parts like brake pads, fan belts, tires

This month i will have had my Ram for 3 years & i have 61,000 miles on it
i turned down a load of work or the mileage would be almost double that

highlandchef 02-09-2012 07:43 PM

I bought my 09 used last May; I ha e the maxcare warranty but I paid a lot less for it since I was buying it with the truck.

snrusnak 02-09-2012 08:12 PM

I would pass on it. I originally bought an extended warranty with my truck but cancelled it within the 30 or 90 days or whatever, I'm sure there are times when it can be useful (my brother has more than got his money's worth out of his) but in my case I prefer I like to do all work myself so I just decided to cancel it and roll the dice. My truck has almost 60k miles on it and no real problems yet.

Rambunkshuss 02-12-2012 03:55 PM

I agree with sean, save your money, especially if you do your own work.
Put the $2,000 grand in a savings account, let it draw intrest, there if you need it.
I also do all my own work on ALL my vehicles too, so the added cost isnt worth it for me.

Savings Account Scenario:
You`ll still have THAT money at the end of a extended warranty period instead of the warranty company keeping it. At the end of the extended warranty period, what do you have left...NOTHING...! At least by putting the money away in a savings account, (and drawing intrest) you still have money if you dont end up using it to fix your truck. Its a crap shoot, but i`ve NEVER bought a extended warranty in my life for anything, and i`ve NEVER had to use one either. Its a scam...PERIOD. Very few people have ever needed it and thats money being thrown out the window as far as i`m concerned. Anyhow, what works for me might not work for you, but i can sure tell you i`ve saved ALOT more money by NOT buying an extended warranty than if i HAD bought them all these years. Its up to you, if you think you need it, then buy it.

ArmyofOne 02-20-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambunkshuss (Post 720716)
I agree with sean, save your money, especially if you do your own work.
Put the $2,000 grand in a savings account, let it draw intrest, there if you need it.
I also do all my own work on ALL my vehicles too, so the added cost isnt worth it for me.

Savings Account Scenario:
You`ll still have THAT money at the end of a extended warranty period instead of the warranty company keeping it. At the end of the extended warranty period, what do you have left...NOTHING...! At least by putting the money away in a savings account, (and drawing intrest) you still have money if you dont end up using it to fix your truck. Its a crap shoot, but i`ve NEVER bought a extended warranty in my life for anything, and i`ve NEVER had to use one either. Its a scam...PERIOD. Very few people have ever needed it and thats money being thrown out the window as far as i`m concerned. Anyhow, what works for me might not work for you, but i can sure tell you i`ve saved ALOT more money by NOT buying an extended warranty than if i HAD bought them all these years. Its up to you, if you think you need it, then buy it.

Brother, I have purchased a warranty with every car i have purchased. (12 total), and let me tell you...

Every single one of them I was glad that I bought it. My honda civic needed a trans rebuild that would have ran $5k without even blinking, my Wife's Toyota Matrix AWD needed a new trans, center and rear diff at 40,000 miles, the only one I havent had to use it on is my truck so far.

It might be money thrown away for you, and it probably is for me to since I can take this truck apart down to a pile of bolts and reassemble it with my eyes closed...but why, if I dont have to?

MegaCabGamecock52 02-27-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVU RAM (Post 711103)
Hey guys, called for quote for Genuine Chrysler Group Service Contract, Max Care.....quotes were 6yr, 85,000mi=$2003.00, 10% down, 24mos to pay with no intrest. 7yr, 100,000mi=$2603.00, same payment options.

I'm original owner of 2009 Ram, so I have lifetime powertrain. The Chrysler rep told me that these costs were already taking consideration of my lifetime warranty. So, is this about right? Or does price seem high?

Currently I have 31,250mi on my truck. Runs like a dream, just need new tires. I serched 2009 forum about extended warranty costs, but couldn't find many answers. Thanks for your help. Intend on keeping my truck as long as possible, but I have bad rep for trading.

2012 Orange Bowl
(WVU 70 Clemson 33) The last time I saw a tiger get beat that bad was by a white woman with a golf club.

You can do a heck of a lot better than those prices IMO. With my '08 I bought the lifetime Maxx care (truck has LL Powertrain) for $2250. On my '12 that I just ordered I got the Maxx care full deal lifetime for $2k flat. Go to a dealer that sells them and talk to the sales guy. They'll deal. By the way I LOVED watching your boys lay the smack down on those urange clad jacklegs in the Orange Bowl.

seltzer 02-28-2012 09:22 PM

I have had some sort of extended warranty on my last 4 vehicles, and they have MORE than paid for themselves over and over.

05 dakota---front rack and pinion and rear main seal=3600 parts and labor
Rear Differential pinion gear and u joint replacement=1800
Wiper motor replacement, radio replacement=850

I paid $2000 for the bumper to bumper warranty...with a $100 deductible each visit. The truck was almost 4 years old when I got it though.

I will never own another vehicle without warranty. Just my experience though.