DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   My 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Sport is very thirsty.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103314)

SNFLWR 02-02-2012 12:20 PM

My 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Sport is very thirsty....

Ok, here is the situation along with my truck's options, etc:

I had a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and I traded that in for a 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Sport, back in August of 2011. This truck is fully loaded with leather seats (heated and cooled), DVD, navigation, awesome sound system, 3.92 gearing, 20" rims, 5.7L Hemi V8, and the huge list goes on. Currently, she has 7679km on the odometer.

When I first bought the truck, I took my family to the Canadian Rockies (Jasper National Park), roughly 3 hours away, and enjoyed a great drive with fantastic fuel economy. Hinton, which is roughly 257 from my home, in Stony Plain, my truck had just over half a tank of fuel. Since that trip, my trucks fuel economy has fallen drastically.

That trip included towing a 1000lb utility trailer (full of camping gear), 4 children w/husky, with speeds between 130km/h - 140km/h, and the odometer reading was @ 500km.

Obviously, my truck has a 5.7L V8 and I didn't expect the fuel consumption to be near that of a Smart Car, but I also didn't expect to get such poor fuel economy either. By the way, I am not the type to "romp" on the "skinny pedal" especially with all of the photo radar and camera lights that are in abundance, here in Alberta. Also, I didn't expect my husband's 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to be more fuel economic then my truck. :4-dontknow:

Here are some numbers:

@ 7433km, I put in 55.397L of fuel.
@ 7649km, I put in 58.275L of fuel.

That equals 216km per 1/2 tank. Prior to that fill up, I was averaging 60-80km per 1/4 tank. I am grateful that I am getting better fuel economy, but are the numbers supposed to be this bad? By the way, I haven't even used the 4x4 option (just in case that is a possible concern), I am not pulling a trailer, and I haven't done any mods besides installing a tonneau cover. In other words, she is still stock. Furthermore, I have taken my truck into a Dodge dealership and they don't see a problem, but asked me to record numbers over the next month.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

M.Scipione 02-02-2012 12:43 PM

I have the same truck as you (Crew, 3.92, Sport)

For comparison sake I get about 400 miles for every 24 Gallon fill up.
apx. 16-1/2 miles per gallon.

According to an internet conversion calculator this equates to 14-1/4 Liters per 100K.

Is that near your mileage? The numbers from your previous post don't add up (or I'm lost in the metric zone)

wvcoolvinilla 02-02-2012 12:48 PM

I have the same truck but in the outdoorsman package.. I am getting about 16.5 as well.

Macfhionghuin 02-02-2012 01:11 PM

Seems high to me ,that's 26.97L /100K or about10.6 miles /gal .I have the same truck,on the highway I use 12.9L/100K,traveling at 120kph, around town 18.7l/100k, traveling at 60kph, my combined depending on the mix of highway and city is usually around 16 or 17.9 miles/gal .It's very hilly where I live so mileage should be comparable.....:smileup::smiledown::smileup:..Rob

SNFLWR 02-02-2012 01:16 PM

I did the conversion it's as follows:

I'm getting 131.73 miles for 15.395 gallons of gas

I fill at half a tank just to keep a steady record. I have a 121litre tank ( 31.965gallon)
So based on your numbers of 400miles for 24 gallons gas your getting 643.738km for 90.850L. I'm getting nowhere near that I'm getting approximately half of that.

She should be getting much better especially now after an oil change at 5005km and only 7679km on odometer. Seems to be getting worse ...

Again thank you for any comments or possible suggestions.

SNFLWR 02-02-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks Rob... This is starting to get frustrating I should be getting more then what I'm getting and I can't figure out what's happening. She's getting worse the more km's I put on. I tried checking the fuel economy in the EVIC center and I'm getting really wacked numbers like AVG:35.9-55.9 and DTE: 480km on a full tank. The dealership said nothing is wrong but agreed numbers seem high/low on km but want me to record km and liters I put in.
Just trying to see if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be or has similar or better fuel mileage so when I go back to the dealership I have comparisons to prove I'm not out of my mind .., lol maybe I am :)

Anyway thanks for all comments and suggestions I just find this whole thing is taking away the fun of my dream truck ( btw LOVE my truck!)

Macfhionghuin 02-02-2012 01:59 PM

I think I'd have to push hard on the happy pedal to get mileage like that. the temps and the winter gas blend do have an impact on the mileage,I've gone up 1.5l/100km .I just went and looked at my Ram EVIC showing 17.4L/100KM,with a 60/40 mix highway/city,with 573km on the tank,truck has about 8500km on it,so it has about the same number of km on it.
Hopefully the dealer can fine something that helps..:smileup::smileup:..Rob

SNFLWR 02-02-2012 02:32 PM

I wish it was the "happy" pedal lol but with the mileage like this I'm forced to be very conservative ;(
Yes a great comparison again I appreciate it Rob. My friend has a 2011 dodge ram quad cab outdoorsman with 6000km and her truck is getting almost double the km I am so hers with yours as comparison and my recording of numbers, I have or rather should have enough for the dealership to take a deeper look. One can hope anyway.

Jenn :)

M.Scipione 02-02-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

I'm getting 131.73 miles for 15.395 gallons of gas
So that works out to about 8.5 miles per gallon, about half of what the rest of us are getting.

I'd say there is definately something wrong, stay on the dealer and make sure it gets resolved.

It might be wise to call Chrysler directly if you aren't making any progress through the dealer.

Good luck!

HeyBrownDog 02-02-2012 05:00 PM

I've got a little over 3200 miles on mine, and the EVIC mileage seems to be climbing now that the miles are racking up. I'm around 15 mpg but I do get a little excited with the "happy pedal" as they say. Can't say it's great MPG, but for a near 400hp motor it's reasonable.

I remember reading people with Torque Converter problems noticed a drop in MPG's. Wonder if that's what's going on here. :4-dontknow: