DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2006 4.7 what can i do ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103498)

hotmach 02-04-2012 08:49 AM

2006 4.7 what can i do ?

Hey guy's. I'm semi new here so go easy with me.

I have a 2006 Ram that has served me reliably for many years. I pull a 6500lbs travel trailer with it once a year from Toronto to NC. I have been looking at a 2011 1500 and 2500 but other than being under powered pulling the trailer once a year my 4.7 is not yet worth replacing.

At start up i have a very small exhaust leak so mechanic suggested i spend some money on some mods that might gain me a little extra torque/hp for the annual pull.

Naturally i came to you guys to set me in the right direction.I'm not looking for gadgets to play with,or other hobbies just want plug and play reliability as breakdowns while in the mountains with a 30+ TT are not fun.

What are your thoughts ?

starquestbd22 02-04-2012 09:37 AM

This topic has come up before and draws varying opinions. Some, like myself, generally say upgrade to a hemi (or CTD if you have that need I suppose). Others say the 4.7 can be upgraded. Well, yes technically it can but to see any serious difference in a pre-2008 4.7 you are going to have to drop some serious coin on heads, intake, cam, etc.

Anyway, your situation is a little unique so here's my thoughts. The "big three" that everyone recommends is a cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, and a programmer. While they may help slightly I personally don't think you will feel noticeable results from the intake and exhaust. The programmer is probably your best bet. Not sure about Diablosport or any of the others but I know Superchips has a tow tune. I've never used the tow tune and don't know a lot about what it does for the truck (I would guess it increases torque and modifies shift points) but that may be something you can research or someone else on here can offer insight on. I know you don't want a gadget to have to mess with but the Superchips is very easy to operate and can set your truck to tow tune or return it to stock in five minutes.

Oh and one more thought. Do you know what rear gear ratio your truck has? I'm thinking our trucks either have the 3.55 open diff or 3.92 limited slip diff. Gearing can make a huge difference, probably much more noticeable than anything else including a programmer, especially if you currently have the 3.55.

Hope this helps!

snrusnak 02-04-2012 09:42 AM

Some mods like intake and exhaust will give you a little hp and torque, but I don't think it's going to be night and day for you with a heavy load like that. If you want simple, reliable, and easy results I'd go with a tuner. I prefer superchips (flashpaq), but diablo is another good choice. The superchips has more transmission control, and you can select the tow tune which adds some hp and torque and more importantly adds it at lower rpm's. It also improves the shift schedules, and will hold gears longer when towing. This would probably be the best thing for you, the flashpaq is around $350.00 and if I had to guess it'll add about 10hp and 30lbft max gain at around 4,000 rpm. The gains will vary based on rpm, but you'll gain at all rpm's.

An intake MIGHT give you 5 to 10 hp at the most, and a muffler swap MIGHT give you 5-10 hp at the most. A tuner will definitely give you the increases, plus there are multiple tunes (performance, mpg, etc...) and other things like ability to adjust speedo for gearing and tires, and many other things. Keep in mind you need to run premium fuel with the tow and performance tunes.

The only other thing I would suggest is that if your rear axle ratio is 3.55, to change it to 3.92 or 4.10, but that'd probably cost you anywhere from $500-$1500.

snrusnak 02-04-2012 09:44 AM

Also, 6,500 lbs for the 4.7L is REALLY pushing it. I'd bet that's over your tow rating...just something to keep in mind.

starquestbd22 02-04-2012 10:36 AM

Max tow rating for the 2006 4.7 with auto trans ranges from 6100 to 6650 with the 3.55 rear axle ratio and 6900 to 7650 with the 3.92 rear axle. If by some chance your truck is a manual trans then you are definitely over because the tow ratings for the manual are considerably lower. The range depends on reg cab or quad cab, short or long bed, and 4x2 or 4x4.

For comparison, an identical truck with the hemi has about 1400 more pounds of towing capacity than the 4.7.

hotmach 02-04-2012 11:17 AM

Thanks all for your replies and concern with my tow rating.

I did my research before i got my trailer. I have the 3.92 gears and have a QC with 8 foot box, this truck configuration maximizes the 2006 1500 tow capacity.That said it's still a lot of trailer for the 4.7. Pulled the trailer 4000+ miles last year and never felt unsafe, but even when doing a short pull the advantage of a Hemi is something easy to recognize.

FWIW. With my configuration and the 4.7 if i was pulling 4-5 hrs from home i would not be complaining/looking at other trucks or inquiring into mod's. it's the distance i travel and the PA mountains that have me looking. In the 50-60mph range using towhaul mode the 4.7 purrs, just don't try to maintain ( and i'm not sure why some un-safely try ) 60 mph+ with a 30+ travel trailer. Really if Ram had a modern tranny things would be very different.

Thanks all for your thoughts ! Sounds like the 4.7 doesn't have huge gains to mod return,which is fine. A new truck will be in my future if not this spring next. My greatest frustration in a new truck purchase is Ram no longer sells this/my configuration. I am a small contractor who never carries huge weight but needs an 8ft box and a small backseat for lockable tools. Hard to justify a 2500 as a daily driver just for an 8ft box but seems my only option. Then a no charge diesel incentive inters the equation and things get really overkill.

Thanks again.

starquestbd22 02-04-2012 11:44 AM

Yeah, that's kind of a predicament you have there. Since you already have the 3.92 gears I don't think I would mess with that. A Superchips tuner is your best bet. They run around $350 new but if you are patient and vigilant you can pick one up on craigslist or ebay for $200 or less. As long as the owner has returned their truck to stock then a used programmer is as good as a new one. Plus, if you happen to not be satisfied with the results you can get your money back out of it easily.

Nutsandboldts05 02-16-2012 09:54 AM

Those PA hilss will get ya. I'm from New York, along the PA border and we share some of the same inclines in my area. It can be a rough area when towing heavy weights, especially in the winter. I'm grabbing a diablo tuner for my truck. Sounds like it's worth the money if you buy from another member.

bigVtwin 02-16-2012 10:28 AM

Have you considered a second vehicle for a tow rig? If you only need the tow capacity every once in a while, maybe start keeping your eye out for an older 3/4 or 1 ton in decent shape just to tow the heavy stuff. I have the same truck as you (with the short box) and if I ever need to pull anything over 5,000 lbs I have a 97 Ford E-350 cargo with the 7.3 powersmoke diesel. That thing is a BEAST and I can haul just about anything I'd even need to with that rig. It's also a handy construction truck, too.

hotmach 02-25-2012 08:26 AM

Thanks again for your input.
Yes the PA hills are the reason i am looking at a new truck. Last year we tried to skirt them by cutting over to Albany and running down the outside,it was better but had us running through all the cities to NC on July 4th. Wow, wont do that again.

Another vehicle for towing is out as (outside of the one RV pull a year) i can barely justify my long wheelbase Ram. Again, really wish Ram in this config. was still available.

Now the chip has me thinking. What exactly should i expect from it? I assume it can be set up for mileage or torque or ... but do we think there will be a great towing gain? will it not be limited by the transmission?