DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bilstein 5100 Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103785)

SHOCKWAVE 02-07-2012 12:56 AM

Bilstein 5100 Suspension

After reading near every post on the forum about leveling I have decided the way to go is the Bilstein kit. It seems this method is about 99% less likely to cause the dreaded 4wd vibration.

I regularly tow a performance boat that weighs about 6500 pounds and the tounge weight drops the rear about 2" total. I know the rear shocks are not adjustable but since they are a high pressure gas design does anyone know if that will do anything to control the rear from dropping when I have the boat hooked up? Thanks.

(I should note that I plan on setting the fronts at 2.1" of lift.)

Ninjabootsampler 02-07-2012 01:18 AM

Shockwave, I have the Bilsteins on all four corners and the difference in rear sag is so slight that you can only really tell by using a tape measure. The best way that i would suggest to reduce sag when towing would be airbags. I dont have them in my Dodge, but i do in my '92 Chev and they work awesome. I will be putting them in my Ram in the near future, before summer so i can tow my 26' travel trailer with little to no sag as my chev does. They are fairly inexpensive and they work great. Just for your info, I have the Firestone ride-rite in my chev and they had no ill effect on stock ride quality.

gysnst2 02-07-2012 01:37 AM

That's is why I installed the rear coils from topguncustonz. They sell them for 200 I offered them 150 on eBay. What I noticed between the two rear coils. They are the same height. The tpc coils are about the same thickness as the fronts. Much stronger. They raised the rear of the truck 2.25" inches. And they are a true progressive rate spring. I didn't" measure but it looks like at least 3" by the eye ball. I hooked up my trailer and the truck sagged very little. But it looks good. And I believe I now have a better ride. And probably a higher payload. But don't quote me on that.

SHOCKWAVE 02-07-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjabootsampler (Post 715460)
Shockwave, I have the Bilsteins on all four corners and the difference in rear sag is so slight that you can only really tell by using a tape measure. The best way that i would suggest to reduce sag when towing would be airbags. I dont have them in my Dodge, but i do in my '92 Chev and they work awesome. I will be putting them in my Ram in the near future, before summer so i can tow my 26' travel trailer with little to no sag as my chev does. They are fairly inexpensive and they work great. Just for your info, I have the Firestone ride-rite in my chev and they had no ill effect on stock ride quality.

I have used the Air Lift 1000 air bags before and they work awesome for helping control sag from tounge weight. Thanks for the info on the shocks!