DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Ticking when cold, in "gear". (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103860)

Blackthunder 02-07-2012 07:07 PM

Ticking when cold, in "gear".

Hey, just wanted to run this by you guys-

My 2011 Hemi has just over 11,000 miles and when I first start it in the morning and put it in gear I can hear a tick from underneath the truck.

When I first start it when it's cold and in park, besides the higher RPM's, the engine is quiet, not even any "Hemi tick". I will get the ticking as soon as I put her in gear. It will quiet right down after I drive about a hundred yards. If I let it warm up for five minutes, no ticking sound when I put it in gear.

My previous truck was a diesel, and for those first hundred yards before it quiets down, it almost sounds like diesel clatter.

I've been thinking exhaust manifold issues, but there is no noise when engine is cold and in park. To me, if were exhaust manifold issues, I'd be able to hear it at start up?? Maybe not.

BTW, truck is bone stock out of the box from factory.

Thanks guys!

GTyankee 02-07-2012 07:14 PM

I had clicking from an exhaust manifold being cracked & it did it all the time
it was replaced under warranty

Hope you find the problem

Good Luck

Blackthunder 02-07-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 716015)
I had clicking from an exhaust manifold being cracked & it did it all the time
it was replaced under warranty

Hope you find the problem

Good Luck

You said the key word "warranty", I've got tons of it and bought the extended too.

Doesn't really bother me (the noise) because it last just a minute or so and it is completely gone.

I'm sure if there is an issue lurking, it will surface before warranty is out.

articcatbill 02-07-2012 08:42 PM

That's interesting, I recently noticed the same thing in my truck (2011 with 6700 miles). I only noticed it in gear. I was backing it in the garage cold there is a little lip and I could really hear it when I accelerated to go over that lip. I really haven't done anything to try to trouble shoot it, I just heard it 2 different times. Seemed to be engine speed related though.

Oddly enough I seemed to notice it right after I changed the oil and switched over to Mobil 1 5W-20. Not sure if it is related or just coincidental.

I may not have just noticed it before. If the radio is on I can't hear it. I guess I will either listen for it or keep the radio on when it is cold....

bigralphy 02-08-2012 09:20 PM

I have the same issue on mine. It has 16k kilometers. My dealer said "we dont know what it is but you have lots of warranty left so we will let it get worse before trying to fix it." Best service answer I have ever received...not. Ill probably get stranded in the middle of nowhere when whatever it is goes. I think it may be the torque converter but it sure sounds like valve train. I am not very impressed with my truck thus far. I have the torque converter grinding issue, have had rear bumper and sidesteps replaced for rusting and peeling. RAM TOUGH baby....LOL.

Blackthunder 02-09-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigralphy (Post 717128)
I have the same issue on mine. It has 16k kilometers. My dealer said "we dont know what it is but you have lots of warranty left so we will let it get worse before trying to fix it." Best service answer I have ever received...not. Ill probably get stranded in the middle of nowhere when whatever it is goes. I think it may be the torque converter but it sure sounds like valve train. I am not very impressed with my truck thus far. I have the torque converter grinding issue, have had rear bumper and sidesteps replaced for rusting and peeling. RAM TOUGH baby....LOL.

BTW, I did have the torque converter replaced on mine already, so not really sure if that is the culprit.

I remember on one of my past Rams, my '95 or '99, can't remember which, I had a TSB done on the transmission for a noise when cold. They replaced, I believe, a "spool shaft" in the valve body that was supposed to fix the noise. It never did. Again, in that case as well, the noise was only limited to cold temps and would quiet down after I got half way down the block.

Not too worried about it because it isn't constant. If it were, I'd be really upset.

I do share some of your thoughts on the quality of these trucks. I'm not looking to dump mine, as it does what I bought it to do and I do like the truck. I just would not buy another one. I've had a new '95, '99 and 2003 Ram and those trucks just seemed higher on the quality scale. Just my opinion.

crusher 02-10-2012 11:12 AM

mine does it to but only when its very cold, and not for a long time

954rrmike 02-10-2012 01:26 PM

Mine has the hemi tick at idle when hot and it has become worse since putting Mobil1 in it. I have read that penzoil and valvoline synthetic seem to make the tick quieter so I will try one of those next. I am also concerned with the quality as I have the hemi tick and have had the converter replaced as well. I would have bought a ford to do it over. My other issue is the fuel mileage is not even close to what it is rated. But I do love the looks and performance of the ram.

huntergreen 02-10-2012 02:52 PM

if it matters, i changed out original oil at 1000 miles and used penzoil ultra 5-20 and k&n filter. no hemi tick so far at 12000 miles.

johnnymopar 06-10-2012 03:29 AM

Any updates on this, mine seems to do the same thing as the OP. When I start it in the morning it doesn't seem to be a tick. I drop it in drive and it starts to tick, seems to go away in a few minutes. The only mod is a Catch Can which I don't think affects anything.
I love the truck and otherwise its perfect, just kind of annoying. My old Yukon was quiet and only started getting a lifter tick until it was warmed up after it had 200,000 miles on the clock.

Should I bother taking it to the dealer or does this sound like a normal Hemi thing?