DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Whistling sound when going over 80km/hr?? (No not humming, whistling) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=103971)

Bordin 02-08-2012 10:53 PM

Whistling sound when going over 80km/hr?? (No not humming, whistling)

Well guys, just noticed something the past few rides with the ram.

It sounds like a whistling sound when I get over 80km/hr. It was pretty damn windy today and the trucks full of dirt/slush so I figured the wind was just finding a unique way and making a whistle.

Its definitely not a "humming" sound, so its not my bearings.

The sound just pisses me off, I noticed it first two/three days ago coming home from work. Its a new sound to me so pretty easy to identify.

I do have a set of in-channel window deflectors and it sounds like its coming from there or my front drivers side wheel well. At first it was definitely my bearings, but I know how they hum and it ain't it. It is a high pitched whistle sound.

To be honest its pissing me off, anyone have any suggestions to what it is? Again, just looking for opinions.

Stump3r 02-08-2012 11:37 PM

Mine does it too but only when it's windy and it only seems to have appeared lately. Not sure where it's coming from. Drive home tonight, it was there. Had to run back into the city and do a bunch of running around tonight....not there. Drives me mental cause I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Opening windows or the sunroof...doesn't change it. Sorry buddy but I'm right there with you.

Bordin 02-09-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump3r (Post 717270)
Mine does it too but only when it's windy and it only seems to have appeared lately. Not sure where it's coming from. Drive home tonight, it was there. Had to run back into the city and do a bunch of running around tonight....not there. Drives me mental cause I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Opening windows or the sunroof...doesn't change it. Sorry buddy but I'm right there with you.

Thanks man, its just more of a piss off/annoying sound more than anything.
Kind of eases my mind a bit more though

huntergreen 02-09-2012 12:37 PM

can dealers do a "smoke" test to if there is an air leak in the cab?

Stump3r 02-09-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 717572)
can dealers do a "smoke" test to if there is an air leak in the cab?

I don't think it's a cab air leak issue that's causing it as opening a window...any window doesn't help with the whistle. Worst part is, it's not constant either. All depends on outside wind speeds it seems. Frustrating as hell as one days it's there, next day it's gone.

M.Scipione 02-09-2012 03:44 PM

Wasn't there a TSB issued for this?

I think it was for the silencing material in the A pillars.

I have only experienced this 2 or 3 times when there is a strong crosswind, hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it yet.

found it: TSB #23-024-11