DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   5.9 to 5.2 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=104385)

700kkm98ram 02-13-2012 12:48 AM

5.9 to 5.2

hello all, im new here, i have a 98 ram with a 360 and 700k Km! when i got it , it had no oil pressure at idle so i changed the pump and i do now, with plans of the engine lasting 6 months, it has:smileup:. now im looking at a swap, i was thinking of going to a 318 for economy, just wondering some thoughts anyone may have on it,i do have some questions though
is the power drop off drastic?
is milage diference worth it?
are the wiring harnesses diferent?
my plans are for doing a few mods such as a programmer, K&N filter, electric fans, and headers which will give it efficiency and power.
i was also considering some parts off the 360 may give me boosts as well, such as injecors, throttle body, intake or even heads (im sure keeping the 360 computer will do nothing but bad please correct me if im wrong)
if someone could please answer all or even one of these questions i would be gratefull as a bonus the 318 is $300 cheaper than the 360

GTyankee 02-13-2012 12:54 AM

I don't have the answer myself, but others have done the opposite swap, so they will be able to answer your questions

I would like to welcome you to this RamforumZ

Gen1dak 02-13-2012 02:08 PM

With the Magnum line, Chrysler standardized the parts, so the engines have the same induction, heads, and exhaust. The 5.2 has a higher lift (better) cam than the 5.9, so no need there. Keeping the 360 computer isn't an issue. As long as you swap from the same group, meaning OBD I or OBD II the connectors and harness will fit. Same water pump and other bolt-ons. Remember that the 5.2 is a zero balance engine, meaning there is no external balance weight so you'll need to knock the weight off your 5.9 flexplate, or use a flexplate for an OBD II 5.2 ('96 and up). I'm thinking you'll need the 5.2 harmonic damper also.

2011lilred 02-13-2012 04:12 PM

All other things being equal, better fuel economy purely due to a smaller engine displacement is a myth. A 5.9L Magnum motor makes more torque than a 5.2L and therefore will move a given vehicle more efficiently - inversely, less throttle is needed to do the same amount of work. I've had 4 5.2L Magnum trucks (a 94, a 95 and 2 98s) and a 01 5.9L and the 5.9L not only had more low end torque, but it was in a 4x4 and got the same mileage as the 5.2L in a 2WD (same cab configuration, same gears, even the same camper shell). I wouldn't downgrade.

mr.lopar 02-16-2012 10:03 AM

Everything between a 5.2 n 5.9 is the same except the internals so swapping over parts to a 318 would do nothing. if i were you id stick with a 360 like others said. they do have more low end power and is easier to get more power out of then a 318

700kkm98ram 02-18-2012 03:17 AM

thanks for the help and the welcome guys, yea i think i will stay with the 360, the low end torque is what lets it go up hills nicely on the highway without downshifting, and i live in a mountainous area
im normally a chevy guy, but have always been open for dodges, as long as it isnt a ford. i bought my current truck cheap for 800 with 650k on the clock and no oil pressure at idle, so i did a major tune up on the spot and drove it 500km home. right away i replaced the oil pump and it has a death knock on light throttle at 2500 rpm and up, but i limped another 50k km onto it, so that really says something huh?
with the new engine, i plan to put electric fans in it, k&n filter and a 1 into 2 chambered exh @ 3" into 2.5" maybe headers and a chip or programer down the road, can anyone who has done similar improvements tell me what i could gain milage and power wise?, i hope im not not asking for a lot, i have nothing to reference to only thing being an abortion my friend has, a gutless 5.9 with 5.2 heads and a chip and a 318 computer, i dont know why the mechanic talked him into it but it is sad, and chugs back premium, i dont want this, lol i want mine to be better planned.
i have built small block chevys to make serious power before, so im not new to a set of wrenches, just dodges thanks for any help

MrCompton 02-18-2012 07:16 PM

5.2 is a gutless turd in stock form, rebuild the 360.

Gen1dak 02-19-2012 11:25 PM

Your friend has a 360LA with 318 LA heads? Oh God what a bad idea. Or is it a 5.9 Magnum with 5.2 Magnum heads? In that case, no big deal because they're identical.

700kkm98ram 02-20-2012 01:12 AM

magnum engine, funny though cuz it is a lazy pig lol

01ram5.2 02-25-2012 04:14 PM

Engine Swap

I have a 5.2l ram, honestly the gas mileage will probably be worse for you.. The 5.2 is weak and has too much trouble powering the truck. I drive all highway and i get anywhere from 9-11 mpg. i mean the truck will still pull a loaded trailer but i dont think its worth the power loss, when you hit a good hill on the highway it will barely stay at the same speed much less accelerate.