DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Undercover Flex? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=104682)

SilverGhost 02-15-2012 09:45 PM

Undercover Flex?

Hi everyone, I've been debating on what tonneau cover to get for my truck and since getting back from Bahrain recently, I decided it was time. I've been looking at the Undercover flex and was quoted $677 for it. The other cover I've debated on was the Bakflip F1, although I much prefer the price of the flex. Has anyone tried one of these yet? What are your thoughts between the two. I'll mainly be using to keep test equipment and tools dry and provide additional covered storage. Thanks.

huntergreen 02-16-2012 03:26 PM

i don't have either, but i have read many positive posts on the backflip.

biggin152 02-16-2012 05:22 PM

Personally do not have either myself, but know a couple guys with the Undercover and make me want one myself. They both utilize their trucks for construction and really like to be able to throw tools and stuff on top of the cover and not scratch it. One did gouge his with some sharp brackets on the back side of a basketball goal he hauled on top of the cover, but I can't imagine what it would have done to any other cover. They both say they can remove them by themselves cause they are pretty light. I've heard Dan say his is pretty darn water tight but I will try to inquire more about it. The other stands on his sometimes to install basketball goals, thought that was cool too. My 2 cents for what its worth.

daggertats 02-16-2012 06:28 PM

i had an undercover on my tacoma when i had it and in my opinion its one of the best hard covers around. very light weight. two people can lift it off the truck no problem and i carried the one off the tacoma by myself. it was water tight too . never had water in my truck bed with this cover on it. they now make one called an undercover smooth which is basically smooth and paintable where as the regular undercovers have a texture.

dshred 02-16-2012 08:01 PM

I looked at the Flex and the Bakflip G2 and ended up with the Bakflip. The only difference between the two is the way the Flex is attached in the upright position, as in all the way open. The G2 rests lightly against the back of your truck with rubber bumpers and the Flex is held off the truck with the rods. The material is the same on both. I don't like the rods on the Flex because if you use them a lot they will fail eventually. My opinion anyway.

SilverGhost 02-19-2012 06:52 PM

Had kind of hoped to hear from someone with personal experience with the Undercover Flex. I know a lot of people say that the Undercover is a great brand, was just wondering about this new product.

ryder403 03-11-2012 06:28 PM

Have you decided what to go with? I'm facing the same situation, and would
like to hear how you made out.

SilverGhost 03-12-2012 12:09 AM

I purchased the Undercover Flex and have been very happy with it so far. I also purchased a tailgate gasket but still have to install it. The install on the Undercover was very quick and easy. I would highly recommend them. I think I paid like $659 for it with free shipping. I have no regrets about buying it.

jmaimin 03-25-2012 07:31 PM

BakFlip vs Flex

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more differences to consider:

BAKFLIP VS FLEX

BakFlip front panel automatically latches Flex front panel does not latch automatically. (Flex has no slam latches on front panel. (patent violation)
BakFlip can open fully from either side Flex cannot open front from passenger side (patent violation)
BakFlip does not block 3rd brake light Flex does block 3rd brake light (cannot lean past 90 degrees - patent violation)
BakFlip can handle impact from load shifts Flex cannot handle impact
BakFlip rails have install guides on top edge Flex rails have no edge support (patent violation)
Bakflip handles over 400 lbs Flex rails can't handle same weight (patent violation - rails have no range support)
BakFlip Has aluminum substructure (stronger) Flex has light-weight substructure
BakFlip can drive open at freeway speeds Flex cannot drive open at freeway speeds
BakFlip - larger drain tubes (7/8 OD) Flex - smaller drain tubes
BakFlip takes up less space in truck bed Flex takes up more space in bed
BakFlip - OEM approved Flex - Not OEM approved (not fmvss certified)
BakFlip hs Injection molded handles Flex has raw unfinished handles
BakFlip has Emergency release Flex has No emergency release
BakFlip Works with BakBox toolbox Flex has No toolbox option
BakFlip works with CS rack system Flex has No rack option
BakFlip F1 4 year warranty Fibermax 3 year Flex - 3 year warranty
Bakflip has an original patented design Flex is a Nock off - unproven over time.

torkmonstr 04-27-2012 01:37 PM

It is always very easy for a "manufacturer" to write a long list of "puffery" about their product verses someone else in the industry, and very easy to slant and even make up differences that make them look better.

Here are the facts about Flex. Flex is a "new" product to the industry, but built by a long standing manufacturer for the past 10 years with a "PROVEN" track record of manufacturing high quality product. Flex will be no exception. Yes, we respect lawful patents of other companies and when building a new product such as Flex, we build it with that in mind. This is called "integrity". A character commonly associated with Undercover. Undercover could take pictures of Bak and point out many sloppy flaws in manufacturing, and with our industry review list many complaints about customer service and poor standards. We would expect that most forum readers would see this as just a bias attempt to bash another product.

Undercover introduced the Flex cover with FRP panels (fiberglass reinforced). Soon after word our competitor upgraded their G2 to meet our standards. Flex is manufactured with built in buckets to lock down the 3rd panel, our competitor still uses rope and cords to hold their panels down with traveling. Point here is this, new products to any industry often raise the bar and bring a product line to even higher standards. Flex seems to have already cause such events to occur.

Undercover is committed to a constant level of customer service, and a constant level of quality. We respect other manufacturers products and have worked to improve the standards and value of our product Flex. Thousands of Flex have been sold so far and we monitor any and all concerns about our manufacturing and design. Undercover is committed to building the best possible products and Flex will be no exception. Please visit us on the web and please contact if you have any questions concerning Undercover or Flex.