DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Power Wagon (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Shifting Concern (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=104727)

stubie82 02-16-2012 10:54 AM

Shifting Concern

Hey Guys, I got my PW a few weeks ago. Still love it, but I have a question. It hasn't been really cold here in Cincy (stupid weather), but I've noticed when I first drive my truck after it has sat for a while, like when I am at work or over night, it shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd. When I turn off the ESC it helps some. It just seems really strange. My 2010 1500 didn't do it. Is it becuase it is a solid axle? I looked under the truck but didn't see anything odd. I want to get some feed back about it before I go to the dealer. I don't want to screw anything up on it yet.

Please let me know what you think.

stubie82 02-17-2012 03:17 PM

Can anyone help?

camodown 02-18-2012 09:58 PM

Every heavy duty dodge I have drove always shifts like crap when it is cold and you don't let it warm up. My 08 cummins did it but it was usually 3rd to 4th & now my 10 PW does it (1st to 2nd). I usually let the truck warm up if it is cold out. You can get it checked out but, they probably won't be able to tell you anything.

stubie82 02-19-2012 10:33 AM

camodown- hey thanks for the info. This is the first heavy duty truck I have owned. I just wanted to make sure. I don't want the tranny to fall off after a few thousand miles on it haha. Thanks!

toddbweaver 03-15-2012 05:25 PM

My 2012 Power Wagon transmission broke with 1000miles

Purchased it new about 4 weeks ago. It's been in the shop now for over a week. Started clunking while shifting from 2nd to 1st gear, and 1st to 2nd gear. Couple days later I got in and low and behold the check engine light was on. I called the dealer to make an appointment. The couldn't get me in until 2 days later. I also noticed that after the check engine light came on the torque converter was not engaging. The day I was to bring to the dealer I backed out of the driveway to go to work and it would only go into 4th gear. So I got turned around and luckily I only had 2 lights and a stop sign and about 30 miles to the dealer. Traveled around 40-45 with only 4th gear...not 1, 2, 3, 5, or 6 just 4th. They have now torn out the transmission ordered numerous parts and still not fixed. I've called Dodge Customer Service and demanded a new truck, new transmission, lifetime engine drivetrain warranty. My understanding from the dealer now is they have ordered a whole new transmision. I will post more when I get more information. I've had 4 dodges and no problems until this one. Maybe someone is telling me I should have kept my 09 that was perfect.

Todd

stubie82 03-15-2012 07:33 PM

toddbweaver- that sucks. I am sorry to hear that. That really blows. Good luck with the dealer. The whole reason I bought the power wagon was because the dealer I previously dealt with gave me the run around with my 2010 1500 when I had a problem.
Maybe you can help me with this since yours is new. When I shift out of drive and into reverse, it shifts hard. . Just curious if you have the same thing. Maybe not shift hard, but def. clunks into reverse or even drive.
Anyway, good luck with the truck. Keep me posted on the situation.

toddbweaver 03-16-2012 10:23 AM

Hope this helps

toddbweaver- that sucks. I am sorry to hear that. That really blows. Good luck with the dealer. The whole reason I bought the power wagon was because the dealer I previously dealt with gave me the run around with my 2010 1500 when I had a problem.
Maybe you can help me with this since yours is new. When I shift out of drive and into reverse, it shifts hard. . Just curious if you have the same thing. Maybe not shift hard, but def. clunks into reverse or even drive.
Anyway, good luck with the truck. Keep me posted on the situation.

Too answer your question, my truck clunked with going into gear also from park, neutral, or reverse....the mechanic who looked at the truck first said he didn't like that sound either. I don't believe that a transmission should be clucking into gear and I don't think that driveline slop is why. I've owned a number of trucks and the only time I heard clunks is when there were problems in the driveline, ujoints, differential issues.

gusman 03-16-2012 10:40 AM

My 08 cummins shifts like crap. First shift from 5 to 6 in the morning sucks, I usually have to let off and then it slams into 6th then its fine. But shifts under heavy acceleration really jerk your head back. sucks..

stubie82 03-16-2012 11:11 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Maybe I will take it in a see what they think. It seems like it drives fine, but I don't want to come out some day and my truck not work. Thanks again.

toddbweaver 03-24-2012 10:07 AM

Follow up from my previous post

After 2 weeks in the shop I am now back on the road. New transmission and all is well so far. They began tearing the old transmission down replacing the PCM, Pump/Valve Body, and torqure converter. I spoke with Chrysler and said that I wanted a new transmission that a truck with 1000 miles should not be used a debugging tool for chrysler. They agreed and put a new transmission in. All is well for now. Dealer was very good to work with an Chrysler did what I asked.

Todd