DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Free Fuel Economy Booster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=104897)

NGSuperhero 02-18-2012 01:55 AM

Free Fuel Economy Booster

For those of us who are pinching pennies, there is a free MPG booster out there. It's simple and easy to do! This rarely used booster is called drafting! Best used behind semi trucks. Where I would normally be getting around 12 MPGs going up a hill, I get 15. And when I'm just cruising down the highway, I get 30-40 where I would normally get 18-25. Just thought I should spread the knowledge! Just don't be in a hurry when you're trying to save gas because we all know semis like to go a little slower than we do.

98ram59mag 02-18-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGSuperhero (Post 726003)
For those of us who are pinching pennies, there is a free MPG booster out there. It's simple and easy to do! This rarely used booster is called drafting! Best used behind semi trucks. Where I would normally be getting around 12 MPGs going up a hill, I get 15. And when I'm just cruising down the highway, I get 30-40 where I would normally get 18-25. Just thought I should spread the knowledge! Just don't be in a hurry when you're trying to save gas because we all know semis like to go a little slower than we do.

just hope your brakes are good for when they brake check lol. you have a good point thou.

doz 02-18-2012 03:19 AM

Hmmmm... Intelligent. And you wonder why you must pay more for insurance being young.

NGSuperhero 02-18-2012 03:23 AM

Its not like NASCAR drafting. I stay about 2 truck lengths away and it still works wonders.

johnnymopar 02-18-2012 03:24 AM

I heard truckers don't like this because they to burn more fuel as it causes more drag making the rig work harder. I deal with a lot of truckers and most o/o are hard pressed to make it these days.
Any truth to this theory?

NWRQC 02-18-2012 05:09 AM

40mpg :hah:
A 100% increase in fuel economy.

titanman2789 02-18-2012 05:28 AM

Hah from the title of this thread I was expecting to see a picture of 2 feet.

NGSuperhero 02-18-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titanman2789 (Post 726048)
Hah from the title of this thread I was expecting to see a picture of 2 feet.

I enjoy driving my Ram too much for that.

fat1 02-18-2012 01:52 PM

good way to get hurt. have you ever noticed those large chunks of tire treads along the side of the interstate? They are heavier than they look and will kill you at worst and do thousands in damage at best. Most big trucks (especially owner operators) run at least 4 retreads on the trailer in a 1:1 config with a new/real tire beside each one. You really shouldn't cruise anywhere near one on the highway. I get especially irritated when people in front of me ride along beside them at the speed limit rather than speed up to pass them, I'll pay the ticket to live another day

Bikenut 02-18-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnymopar (Post 726033)
I heard truckers don't like this because they to burn more fuel as it causes more drag making the rig work harder. I deal with a lot of truckers and most o/o are hard pressed to make it these days.
Any truth to this theory?

Drafting will definitely not affect the big rigs fuel economy. Although it's dangerous and illegal...