DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Gas friendly Performance mods (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105286)

08ramKING 02-21-2012 05:44 PM

Gas friendly Performance mods

As the title says. I wanted to start a list with idea's to gain performace+increase fuel economy at the same time. So far I've got:

-electric fan vs. engine driven clutch fan
-Cold Air Intake
-Programmer/tuner (which now I'm hearing is BS about the gains in MPG)
-gears(in a way for bottom end, torque)
-throttle body spacer(also questionable)

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR IDEA, I WANT TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE SAY AND HAVE EXPERIENCED.

2012ram 02-21-2012 05:49 PM

High flow cats /flowmaster exhaust,headers ,

snrusnak 02-21-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

-electric fan vs. engine driven clutch fan
-Cold Air Intake
-Programmer/tuner (which now I'm hearing is BS about the gains in MPG)
-gears(in a way for bottom end, torque)
-throttle body spacer(also questionable)
The electric fan is a good idea. You may gain 1 or so mpg, maybe even a couple. I wouldn't be overly optimistic about it though, the gain will most likely be small, but still worth it for all the benefits.

CAI will maybe add a little, most people I think exaggerated the gains though, they are minimal in terms of mpg.

A programmer will give you the most by far. They are definitely worth it and are not a gimmick. I picked up at least 1 mpg city and hwy with the 93 performance tune on my truck. I am told I can get the same mpg with the 87 tune (cheaper cost/mile) but I like the performance. Depending on many factors some people claim up to 4mpg with a tuner, that's pretty good. I bet the programmers are the most realistic gains also. also they are not really any more expensive than any other mod.

Gears can both help and hurt, so it depends...

TB spacer does nothing.

If you did several of these mods I'd say you would see a realistic 2mpg gain...

It's very unrealistic to do 5 or 6 of these mods and expect the mpg gains to stack up to 50% of what original mpg was...

08ramKING 02-21-2012 06:02 PM

I forgot exhaust, good addition 2012. I've defiantly noticed gains with my flowmasters. I wish I had the cats and headers to complete the systems.

08ramKING 02-21-2012 06:07 PM

snrusnak, I agree with the fan, TB spacer and gears. It does depend on how fast you drive with the gears. As far as the programmer goes I hope you're right. I started a previous post about programmers, specifically the bully dog triple GT and I was getting negative feedback about the fuel gains. I guess it depends on the driver cause I've also read alot of positives about the fuel gains. Still up in the air about the programmer though(never had one, so not much I can say, I know) but hearing that people loss a MPG mad me think it over. Your saying though you've gained a MPG on the PERFORMANCE tune? That's awesome!!!

08ramKING 02-21-2012 06:09 PM

Question. Has anyone ever seen fuel gains or power gains with a TB spacer???

snrusnak 02-21-2012 08:06 PM

As far as programmers, I would ONLY recommend superchips, diablo sport, or SCT. I have a lot of experience with superchips on a few vehicles and several others from friends. I have a little experience with diablo sport from friends and have none with SCT (but hear it's great). I hear bully dog is ok but not as good as these 3.

If I had to choose only 1 mod it would be a tuner, no question about it. It has gas mileage tune, 87 tune, 91 tune 93 tune, and tow tune. I have only used the tow tune, 91 tune, and 93 tune because once I put it on the 93 tune I never take it off it is incredible lol. Now with my engine it adds a lot more hp and tq than most but still for yours it adds a lot (my friend had a 3rd gen hemi and it made a big difference).

mikeb33 02-21-2012 10:13 PM

Underdrive pulley?

RansRAM 02-21-2012 10:22 PM

I can definitely say that the FM 40 as well as the SC Cortex have improved performance and MPG.

Lugnut59 02-21-2012 10:27 PM

Running a TB spacer alone does nothing. I installed it after my intake and noticed a difference, not a huge one but there's still a difference. Mostly just throttle response.