DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   I dont want to give up on this truck..please help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105465)

ecoloqua 02-23-2012 09:36 AM

I dont want to give up on this truck..please help

ok heres what I have. 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad cab 4x4. Purchased 6 months ago from a Dodge Dealer. Mileage 60K. Since the day I have picked up the truck it has exhibited a "slushy" feeling which is much more pronounced the faster I go. At 75 on the freeway it is terrible.
The truck does not sway at all. The steering is very responsive and not much play. What happens is if turn the wheel from one way to the other the cab of the truck whips and keeps moving. It feels like the chassis is not tight to the body. Almost like the truck is surfing on water. I have owned several of these in the past and I know this is not normal. I really like this truck and I want to keep it and have spared no expense in trying to fix this problem. Here is what I have done so far:Alignment $80, New leaf springs $700, Rear Sway Bar $300, front steering box stabilizer $350, New Dodge updated steering kit up to 08' specs $800. Ball Joints checked ok (minimal play).
I have taken the truck to three different places and they cant find anything else wrong or worn except for the shocks. My shocks are original and are worn and need replacement. So I ordered a set of Bilsteins $350 which are on the way. Could it be the shocks?? This is all I have left to do except for the tires which are the correct load range, pressure etc. Can anyone help me please?? Anyone experience this side-to-side whip before???

eryk 02-23-2012 10:54 AM

Ive never had the whip myself, but i do know that worn out shocks can cause a floaty feeling

ArmyofOne 02-23-2012 11:10 AM

Thats EXACTLY what your problem is. The bilstiens should fix you right up :)

ecoloqua 02-23-2012 09:45 PM

Thanks that gives me hope! The Bilsteins should be here in a couple of days. I will post once I get them on.

Thanks there are some good folks on here:)

gusman 02-24-2012 11:32 AM

Try airing your tires down below the recommended PSI. My buddy got a set of new BFG Load range E on his 6. uh oh powerstroke and they called for like80psi or something. He said he couldn't even stay on the highway it was all over the place. Deflated them to 60 and it rides perfect now. Worth a shot and it's free...

ecoloqua 02-24-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks but Yes we already tried that. Didn't have much of an effect. Im really hoping that it's been the shocks all along. The only thing left after that would be to change the tires but It really doesnt feel like its in the tires.

Its hard to explain but it's not a 'skating feeling" but more like the cab and chasis are not attached securely. If you are on the freeway going around 70 and you change lanes fast the truck moves over but then the cab has an extra move that it makes. Its not up an down bouncing rather it's a twisting move.

ecoloqua 03-03-2012 10:06 AM

Update

Well heres an update. I put the Bilsteins on yesterday. The truck handles just a little better but the 'sloshy' side to- side thing is still there at freeway speeds.
I have put in over 2K trying to solve this puzzle with no luck. The only thing left to do is change the tires. They are BFG rugged trail. The dealer installed them when I bought the truck so they only have about 10k miles on them. It would be a shame to just tosss them so I may have to wait until the tread wears away.
I really dont think it its the tires though. Its more like the cab of the truck not feeling connected and to the chasis when you turn the wheel at speed. The faster you go the worse it gets.
Also if I am in a long freeway sweeper going 70 I doesnt want to lock in to the curve I have to keep playing with the wheel to stay in the turn. Is there a bushing that can wear out causing this?

Nearing the end of the rope here.

ecoloqua 03-06-2012 12:24 AM

One last thing to throw out there to you experts.

I was driving on the freeway tonight around 70 and one thing I noticed is that the steering feels very responsive. Almost overly responsive. There is normal play in the steering but when input is made to the steering wheel it really jerks the truck to that side. Could it be that the steering box is adjusted too tight? The wheel returns to zero so I am not sure if it is the steering box or not. Just a thought but maybe this is leading me to have to fight to keep the truck in my lane at freeway speeds? Maybe the normal little inputs that I make while driving are being exaggerated causing me to over-control the truck?? After months of trying and thousands of dollars spent chasing this problem could it be something this simple?? any ideas on this??

Blueline41 03-09-2012 03:49 PM

Sounds like your steering may indeed be a bit tight, but I don't think that's what's causing your "slushy" feeling. Even if your minor steering inputs are being exaggerated by over-tight steering, I can't fathom how or why that would cause the loose feeling you're describing.

My first thought when I read your original posts was the suspension was crapped out, but with those Bilsteins on there and no change, it obviously wasn't the source of the problem. If you've had the suspension looked at, and they didn't see anything wrong with any of your stab bars, or sway bars...then it really is a bit of a mystery. I would've thought surely one of those would have been loose or something.

It sounds like a problem I had in an Altima I had a while back. The rear crossmember was faulty, and had basically almost come loose - and it caused a side-to-side swaying feeling, almost like the rock of a boat on choppy water. Found out it was a recall item, and had it replaced, which fixed the problem instantly.

Wish I had more of a firm answer for you, but I'd definitely get a second (or third...fourth) opinion on that. Just my .02

shawdog 03-10-2012 12:00 AM

I would spend some time under there looking at cab mounts, cross members, frame rails, spring mounts and the like. Sounds like something is loose. Good luck!!!