DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nerf bars and plasti-dip (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105643)

buckola 02-25-2012 08:36 AM

Nerf bars and plasti-dip

Both my local truck accessory stores advised me against buying the powder coated tubed side steps. Reason given,they are made of carbon steel and will eventually rust in spite of the powder coating. Wanting black, I'm considering plasti-dipping stainless ones but am concerned of the longevity. Has anyone tried this and are can offer advice and opinions?

While Im at it, a can of this sells for $22+ at Home Hardware here in southern Ontario. Has anyone found it cheaper?

Thanks

huntergreen 02-25-2012 09:19 AM

i don't think plasti dip will last. on that if it is also used as a side step.

MuSh 02-25-2012 11:00 AM

It will last, but it depends on how well you coat it. If you don't put on enough coats, it could eventually start to peel up. The more coats you can add, the better. Does your bars have a black plastic portion that you actually step on?

$22 a can? are you talking about a spray can? It can be purchased at a Lowe's or Home Depot for about $6 a can USD. I'd imagine the Home Depot in Burlington carries it as well.

I have a new set of chrome nerfbars, they are getting plastidipped tomorrow.:smileup:

scmedic09 02-25-2012 11:39 AM

hey! home depot dosent carry it in canada as of yet. only home hardware, and yep 22 bucks is right. quite a piss off compared to the 6 bucks per can in the US, but i think it should last, i did my rims last year, and they see alot of abuse, and its still holding up strong

buckola 02-25-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmedic09 (Post 733044)
hey! home depot dosent carry it in canada as of yet. only home hardware, and yep 22 bucks is right. quite a piss off compared to the 6 bucks per can in the US, but i think it should last, i did my rims last year, and they see alot of abuse, and its still holding up strong

Wish I read this before I went out today haha.
Princess Auto...don't' have...Lowes, never heard of it....Burlington Home Depot...used to carry it a long time ago.

I estimate I would need 4 + cans to do 4 good coats. At $22 a can...I could add a few $ more and get the SS nerfs powder coated.

Mush..if you wouldn't mind, could you post how it goes tomorrow?

Thank everyone.

buckola 02-25-2012 02:26 PM

News Flash...
Performance Improvements in Ontario sells it for $15.95 per can. By the case its
$81 for 6 cans ($13.5) Better but a far cry from US prices.

Excoastie 02-25-2012 03:47 PM

have you thought of getting it from Amazon? How're their prices for those of you in the Great Arctic North?

I just did a quick search at Amazon, found it for $7.23. again, not sure how this would work for you Canadians

Exco

buckola 02-25-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excoastie (Post 733239)
have you thought of getting it from Amazon? How're their prices for those of you in the Great Arctic North?

I just did a quick search at Amazon, found it for $7.23. again, not sure how this would work for you Canadians

Exco

Thanks. I'll check it out but I'm not sure if
they'll ship pressurized cans.

buckola 02-25-2012 04:29 PM

Apparently they will ship them.
Amazon.com $7.23 and $25 shipping
Amazon.ca $8.99 and $22 shipping

Cheaper but the shipping is a deal breaker.

TheAxeman 02-25-2012 05:50 PM

I doubt you will need four cans for your nerf bars even doing 4 coats. I just dipped the wheels, grill, side trim, and fender flares on my Tundra with 4 coats and only used four cans. The stuff goes pretty far and remember that you will want to put the first coat on rather light (maybe 70% cover) so the next three coats stick well. Leave about 1/2 hour between coats just to be sure.