DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Gas for a hemi (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105733)

Parkersdad 02-26-2012 06:57 AM

Gas for a hemi

I keep reading about the Hemi engine should at least be running mid grade gasoline. The only thing I have put in mine is regular, is that ok and what do you guys put in yours?

05cr125r 02-26-2012 08:02 AM

this is my 4th truck with a Hemi..they say to use midgrade. that's what I use.

2011lilred 02-26-2012 08:17 AM

While they are designated to run mid-grade, I race mine so I run Sunoco 93 as extra insurance. If you are never putting a load on it by towing and hauling or you accelerate like grandma then you should be fine - but if this is the case, why did you buy a Hemi?? They have knock sensors, so if you run the cheap stuff and it pings, it will retard your timing to stop the ping but some damage will still occur, a little bit each time - therefore if you run cheap gas in a Hemi....it's retarded!!

2011 ASSAULT 800 02-26-2012 12:15 PM

from what I have read on here the timing is set for 89... so running anymore than that is a waste of money. I run 87 with no issues... there is still no exact answer on whether you get better fuel economy running - 87, 89, 91 and if you do there is no exact answer on whether it is enough of a cost savings to offset the higher price for higher octane, mind you it is impossible to do an exact study as your everyday driving changes a bit even if your route and habbits are the same, the out come will never be the exact same...

GTyankee 02-26-2012 12:48 PM

I have been running 89 octane up to 2 months ago
then i started running 87 octane every once in a while
gas has gone up 50 cents in the last 3 weeks, looks like i will be using 87 octane a lot more now

We are all on winter blend gas until May sometime & it is not anywhere as efficient as Summer blend

89 octane is now $4.33 per gallon here
When i go over to Yuma Arizona to do a job, it is at least 30 cents cheaper & fill my tank & spare gas containers

huntergreen 02-26-2012 11:37 PM

my owners manual states 89 recomended but 87 is acceptable. i use 89 and now only 87 and found no difference in performance or mpg.

NWRQC 02-27-2012 12:23 AM

The engine is built and tuned for 89 octane, anything more on a stock engine is a waste. ....But on a stock engine running 87 will decrease the power and put you all the closer to the limits of the knock sensor, a sensor that I wouldn't want to rely upon in the case of failure. Putting around town you are probably fine running 87 day in and day out, all you're towing is your ass. If you haul or tow any sort of load then I would run nothing less than 89 like is recommended.

That said, running less than 89 you are relying upon a sensor to detect knock and retard your timing thus reducing power output. If fuel economy is a big concern you probably shouldn't have bought a dodge for one, and secondly not one equiped with a Hemi. Sorta a waste to put around trying to squeeze every last drop.

I for one am happy to pay for premium(91 tune), enjoy the power available and tow like my truck was desgned for. :smiley_thumbs_up: I have trailers to tow and loads to haul. :smileup:

JHemi1 02-27-2012 10:13 AM

I've put 87 in, no knock or other issues, but running 89 it seems like it runs a bit better with slightly better MPG. May just be all mental, but for the extra $$$ the added peace of mind is worth it.

huntergreen 02-27-2012 02:12 PM

in nj all we can get is 10% ethanol, wonder if that is why i don't see a dif. between the 2 grades.

Bikenut 02-27-2012 03:48 PM

I run 91 any time I tow/haul and 87 when empty driving. The manual specifically says 87 is acceptable.